Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SWC height vs. width

Posted by suburbangardenMD 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 13:28

Before I get any math tutorials, or links to websites explaining how to measure in three dimensions...I know its not just about height and width when dealing with containers.

The question is, does anyone have any experience with differences in wicking between an earthtainer shaped container vs. a bucket? I am planning on using mostly buckets and maybe a few hydro style grow bags. From what I gathered from the thread on water movement and retention, the perched water table should be consistent from container to container using the same mix and wicking basket. I believe the example of a funnel upright and inverted was used in the main post.

Any thoughts on differences between the containers, mixes, wicking, etc.?

Other than the volume of the container, it would seem to me that as long as I dont crowd anything I should be able to stick with a 3:2:1 mix from the earthtainer in a bucket.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SWC height vs. width

how i've done mine is 1/3 water resevoir and 2/3 soil mix in the height of the container. like my 100 gal swc has 30 gal water res. but has 12 wicks for that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here