Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berkeley_chris

Gritty mix alternative

berkeley_chris
10 years ago

Medium-term lurker, first time poster. I've been trying to absorb the massive amount of incredibly helpful information here and appreciate this amazing resource.

I have several houseplants that are likely to need repotting soon:
- Peace lily from a flower shop, looks incredibly crowded
- Dracena of some sort, I think a dragon tree (also from the flower shop, and also in a painfully moisture-retentive soil)
- a Rubber Tree (Ficus Elastica Decora) that I bought recently, came with two 12" RTs in the same pot and will probably need to be divided

I understand fast draining mixes are the name of the game. I'm happy to run around finding the gritty mix components, but thought there might be a shortcut by using my local cactus nursery's orchid mix:

"Ultra Soil ORCHID/JUNGLE Blend
A fast-draining soil for orchids and jungle cacti needing a little more moisture retention

Coconut Coir, Coconut Husk Chips, Pumice, Lava Scoria, Vermiculite and Composted Rice Hulls.
Fortified with Alfalfa, Kelp and Neem Seed Meal, Oyster and/or Egg Shell, Azomite, Fish Bone Meal, Humic Acid and Vitamins & Minerals."

For the plants above, does it sound like this mix will be too fast? Any advice would be most appreciated. I'll be doing my usual and reading up as much as I can all day!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting