Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
preparation help ss100, cayenne, buckets

Posted by green8787779 TEXAS (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 14:07

Hi,

First post on gardenweb. I live in an apartment and have a porch that gets about 8 hours of direct sunlight. I have started some super sweet 100 seedlings, cayenne, and some large red cherry tomatoes.

From what I can find, 5 gallon buckets seem like the best way to go. If i'm wrong stop me here. I have 2 cu ft of miracle grow potting mix and 2 cu ft of organic compost. I plan on either mixing the compost and MG half and half or just covering the top couple of inches of pot with compost, whatever yall think is best.

Do yall have any tips on making this work right? I plan on having 4 - 5 buckets.

Thanks,

Solomon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: preparation help ss100, cayenne, buckets

Peppers will do fine in 5-gallon buckets. Most tomatoes, other than patio or micro or certain determinates, will do much better in larger containers. I use a 15-gallon for my cherry tomato.

As for the mix, there's not much to say. I wouldn't recommend either of the strategies you mentioned, nor would I recommend either of those mixes.

Josh

o

Where did you get the 15-gallon? What soil mixture do you recommend?

o

The 15-gallon came from a local nursery....I can't recall the price, but it wasn't too high. On my back deck, I set the pot in a black plastic tub, the kind you could use for mixing small batches of mortar or concrete. On hot days, I can water until an inch or so fills up in the tub, then let the container suck up the moisture the rest of the day.

I highly favor a bark-based mix, with small fractions of peat/potting mix and perlite, known as the 5-1-1 (5 parts bark, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite). In Texas, you might increase to 2 parts potting mix, if you find the moisture retention insufficient.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here