Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrogel instead of...

Posted by martin_w 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 14:23

Hi there

I have been reading all about Al's mixes and would like to mix something up for my plants-5:1:1. But I was wondering can I use superabsorbent instead of peat? I doubt peat could save up enough moisture during our hot summer days and I am not able to water my plants during the day cos I work from morning till evening. Peat I don't like to use anyway.
I've also noticed people are not happy with coir in the mix.
What do you think...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrogel instead of...

I live 100 miles from the hottest place on planet earth and the peat inclusion allows me to go 2-4 days in summer without watering my established 5-1-1 pots. I don't know what Hydrogel is, but peat is cheap and effective when used in the right proportion. I hate Peat Pudding mixes, but I don't mind at all the small amt of peat used to make 5-1-1.

o

Some believe that hydrogel has some possible harmful chemicals. But so does almost everything we use. I would use some in the mix, but not so much as to replace peat. Also I have not heard coir is bad, I myself rather like it.
Also coconut husk chips are decent too! Coir is getting cheaper and cheaper too. Also it lasts longer than peat, so cost needs to be figured into that too. . I love peat too. In my alkaline world a little acid helps a lot!

o

Thanx guys!
Coir here in Germany is available everywhere and is much cheaper than peat. I think I'll go coco then! And I have found pine bark 4-8 mm size.
Even if hydrogel contains harmful stuff I ain't gonna eat my fuchsias or other shrubs. People look for bad things in wrong places. They should look what's inside of the food they buy every day.
And also we cannot use perlite in organic farming here, I really don't know why..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here