Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandruff like white on Coreopsis leaves

Posted by mzmalik (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:27

Hi, I am newbie to gardening and this year I started some perennials from seeds. Sadly, I was very late in sowing, and instead of transplanting them on time, I now have to read those seedlings / plants indoors until this spring.

My coreopsis seedling leaves have developed white dandruffy stuff. It is definitely a lot! Because when I share the leaves, it blows off slightly but not all of it. Does someone here know what this is and is this a problem? The plant itself seems to be growing fine. But this problem, along with the changed shape of the leaves (the leaves seem to be indented / hollowed out) seem to be unsightly! I just want these to survive until May! So I can transplant them outside.

If you need to see images, let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dandruff like white on Coreopsis leaves

Yes, attach a pic and please let us know what city/part of the country you live in.

o

So here is the coreopsis seedling with that white stuff on it. When I flick the leaves, some of it gets off, kind of like dust, but most of it stays on there.

o

Here is a closeup.

I live in Allentown, PA. Zone 6a if I remember correctly.

o

This is the mint seedling, which I started from a stem transplant. You can see different kind of white stuff here too. This is kind of attached to the leaves and the leaves are sticky in these seedlings. Coreopsis seedling leaves are NOT sticky. There is also darkening of leaves, I hope you can see it.

o

This is kind of extra. This is PowWow wild berry. Any idea what's wrong? This is not only on the leaves closest to the light but also on leaves farther away from light.

o

This is the the growing point of the same PowWow plant, you can see that the new leaves do NOT have the discolored / dying leaves but what is that white stuff on the stems?

o

Looks like Powdery Mildew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here