Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nullzero_gw

Some pictures of the edible container garden.

nullzero
13 years ago

Here is some pictures of the edible container garden. I took these yesterday, hope everyone enjoys.

Bonanza Peach

{{gwi:5723}}From Feb 27, 2011

Holiday Avocado

{{gwi:5724}}From Feb 27, 2011

Sunshine Blue blueberry

{{gwi:5725}}From Feb 27, 2011

Angel Red pomegranate

{{gwi:5726}}From Feb 27, 2011

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

{{gwi:3903}}
    Thanks for sharing with us!

Al

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al, some of the container plants are using a mix similar to your recommendations. However, I find it hard to find a lot of the components.

I use for most containers a decent potting mix with peatmoss, I then dilute it with perlite, and pine bark fines. I am happy with the results of my makeshift mix in most cases. The only problem that I encounter is peatmoss compaction after a year or so.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Great pics!
    Nice 'Holiday' Avocado! ;-)

Josh

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Makes me wish.....

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

NZ - remember it's the knowledge that will make you successful - the soils are just a convenient way to implement that knowledge. ;-) Best luck to you!!!

Al

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

nullzero, very nice looking container gardening!

Can I make a couple of observations based purely on what I 'think' I see in the pictures?

Judging by the images, I wonder if some of those plants are buried too deeply in the potting mix. We need to be careful about planting them so deeply that we have to cover the root ball up with a lot of medium. That's not good for in ground trees nor container trees.

Also, don't let those plant tags and/or plant stake ties stay wrapped tightly about the tree for very long. That's one sure way to cause problems for a healthy tree! The very thin layer of phloem tissue is located just under the outer bark and can easily be strangled by tight constrictions.

Remember, both of these issues may not be relevant at all! But I thought I'd mention something just case.

• nullzero
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rhizo,

Thanks for the observations, I actually have to keep an eye on the top root zone. Rain and watering over time, tends to slide off the top mulch layer and expose the root zone to the sun. Plant tags are on the loose side.

I had some existing plant ties still on my recently obtained plants. The Holiday avocado was bought in September, and seems to be doing well. I initially wanted to leave the plant tie on during the winter and spring to hold the plant in place during storms. However, it seems to have adapted to the container pretty fast (removing it this week).

Thanks for the input though. My biggest problem in the past has been pest and disease prevention (blight, grape leaf spot, bugs, etc.). For getting rid of pests and preventing bacteria leaf spot, I try to use only alcohol, dish soap, neem oil, milk, and pepper.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio