Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container soil question

Posted by purplethumb28 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 14:41

Hello all I`m fairly new to gardening. I live in zone7. I planted some tomatoes and peppers last year in containers. My question is how can I prepare my potting soil for this growing season and when should I do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container soil question

Go to walmart, buy some 2 cuft bags of the new green bagged hyponex soil (some good soil I found so far). Or get what ever bagged potting mix you like. Get it home, open bag, and plant.

Potting mix has a larger buffer for ph and nutrients than soilless media. Soilless media can produce more yield, but it has its disadvantages. Both have some advantages and some disadvantges. To say there are NO disadvantages to one in particular would be speaking in absolutes.

;)

This post was edited by TheMasterGardener1 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 13:58

o

On the other hand, you could take some time to read about the 5-1-1 mix many on this forum prefer over store bought mixes that are mostly peat and often contain "moisture control" pellets, both of which cause your mix to get soggy and compacted, leading to poor growth and disappointment. If Mastergardener1's suggestion worked so well, there wouldn't be hundreds of us coming here asking for help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils -- Water movement and retention

o

Thanks for the response. I will check into both and see which is more on the budget friendly side.

This post was edited by purplethumb28 on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 23:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here