Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you all use to screen Al's potting mixes?

Posted by ssmdgardener 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 15:00

I use window screen material to screen out the small pieces of Turface, pine bark, and granite dust.

I also have 1/4 inch hardware cloth to screen out the large pieces of bark.

Is that all the screening I need to do?

What do you all use to screen your mixes? What other sizes do I need? The hardware store only had 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch hardware cloth.

I'll be using the bark dust as a peat substitute in some of my containers this summer. The Turface fines are getting sprinkled in the wintersown jugs. The large pieces of bark are going in the garden as mulch. But what do I do with the granite dust and tiny pieces of Perlite?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you all use to screen Al's potting mixes?

Window screen for Turface.

I also use a 1/4 inch plastic grid (a nursery flat for transporting plants) for the bark.

My latest tools are large pond-baskets that have 1/8 and 1/16 perforations around the outside
and bottom. I shake and rinse ingredients like bark and Perlite to remove dust and fines.

Josh

o

Thanks, Josh, great idea using pond baskets!

o

I have a basic screen frame with permanently attached 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Other screens from window screens up, slip inside the frame on top of the 1/2 inch. Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 10:39

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have 2 'sets' of screens in sizes 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 1/8, and aluminum insect screen.

Al

o

I like Josh's pond basket idea, too, and when I get to the larger garden center this spring, I plan on buying a few.

In the meantime, I use whatever is handy and workable to sieve the ingredients. For example, I use a piece of hardware cloth with holes about the size of Al's screen with the larger looking holes to sift bark for my outdoor 511 mix, and I have some other oddities from kitchen and crafting that have decent holes for getting rid of dust and tiny particles, or whatever else I need.

I would love to get my hands on a set of those really nice bonsai screens, but they're expensive. But I think the pond baskets will work great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here