Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Already nervous about potted tomatoes this summer

MojaveLove
13 years ago

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this but to be honest, I've been thinking about it for months lol

I am going to try to grow a tomato plant in a container this summer. I used to help my dad with vegetables and such when I was a kid but that was in-ground. I didn't realize how many variables there are with tomatoes in containers. I don't have the option of in-ground.

My main concern right now is finding the right tomato. I live in the most optimal place to find tomato seedlings (Midwest, lost of nurseries around, middle of nowhere) so variety isn't a concern. Last year my dad had an issue with the tomatoes cracking. I think it was because of drought or lots of heat. This concerns me because the place these plants would be gets about 12 hours of full, hot, scorching sun. Pretty much from sun-rise (530ish) until a few hours before sunset (630ish) the patio gets full, unobstructed sun. The plants I helped take care of when a kid had shade some parts of the day. Will this extreme sun be ok, or do I just need to hunt for extremely hardy types?

Comments (6)