Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
15 percent leaching and the dish

Posted by marc5 z5OH (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 15:08

I am assembling my ingredients for 5:1:1 and Gritty mixes, looking forward to my first plantings in them. My avocado pit should be almost ready. Josh, I like the look of your "Gritty 5:1:1"--thanks.

How do you handle the water that collects in the dish holding the container? I know from reading here that when watering, I should aim for 15% leaching. My starts will be inside for now (still winter here in Ohio). I don't want the water to leak out onto the floor, so how do you pros handle the logistics of watering indoors? And you probably don't want water sitting in the dish. Do you all water in a sink, then transfer to the dish on the floor?

Thanks--great forum!

Marc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 15 percent leaching and the dish

• Posted by abnorm Central Florida (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 20:09

Wet-Dry shop vac.....

o

There is no problem having a dish catch the leached water as long as the container is raised within the dish so no water remains touching the bottom of the container. Al

o

Quite right, Al... and it also makes for a little more humidity around the plants.

Most of us either empty the saucers after the plants drain, or we take our plants to the sink for the process of copious watering and draining.

I keep a large bucket handy for dumping saucers with extra water, though my kitchen sink is only steps away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here