Return to the Container Gardening Forum

o
Avocado as a Container Plant (pics)

Posted by greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 15:38

Greetings, everyone!

Welcome to the start of a new Thread on growing Avocados in containers!

A little background: in November 2009, I dug up a volunteer Avocado seedling from my garden,
so that I could grow it as a houseplant over the Winter. I chose the shortest, stoutest Avocado seedling
(out of five that sprouted throughout the garden), as I didn't want to end up with a lanky, floppy plant
during the Winter months.

My continuing goal with this plant is to keep it short and bushy and "house friendly" with regular pruning.
Here is a link to the previous Thread, posted in the Houseplant Forum, which exceeded the maximum
number of posts that Garden Web allows: Avocado converted to Houseplant (pics)

And for direct access to the progress pics, click here: Avocado Slideshow

Lastly, a current pic of the Avocado. Click for a full-size view:

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado as a Container Plant (pics)

I'm delighted to see this thread continue. It was really a lot of fun to follow your efforts. And your tree is quite lovely, not at all like the average avocado tree people grew in my college dorm!

I think you have a typo in your link to the old thread, so I'll repost it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado converted to Houseplant (pics) I

o

Thank you, Ohio! ;-)

Yes, there was a typo! Whoops! Avocado converted to Houseplant (pics)

Previously, I, too, had only seen the gangly, awkward, crisp-leaved Avocado plants
that you describe (college dorm). My sister had two large Avocados in containers that were
incredibly haggard during the Winter months. I figured there had to be a better way to
grow these trees in containers.

With Al's (Tapla's) information on container mixes, I was fairly certain that I'd be able
to grow a healthier, more attractive Avocado and with far less of a headache!
The results speak for themselves! ;-)

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 16:44

Great thread, Josh. I'm glad to see it continue, too. Good job keeping your plant soo healthy and looking so good. Photobucket Right alongside everyone else, I'll be looking forward to watching its progress.

Al

o

• Posted by RobV none (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 19:21

Testing my pic loading ability...new to this forum
finally got my 11 year-old avocado to bloom
hoping for fruit

/Users/robvanderleest/Desktop/avocado flowers.jpg

o

Welcome, Rob!

You need to have your pics uploaded online to a photo-hosting site,
then you can link them/post them to these messages.

Josh

o

Hey Josh!

Fantastic thread that is and I really enjoy reading it!

It gives me great satisfaction to know that I can rely on one like you to get this type plant off to the right start, and continue to see it mature well.

I am in the midst of starting two and so are a couple of my friends here. I have them wrapped in a damp paper towel in my dark cabinate.

Much appreciated and I will let you know as soon as they sprout while I continue to reap the reward of looking at that thread over and over and pull some great idea's.:-0)

I particulary like what you are doing to the shape of it.

Thanks Josh

Mike

o

Greenman nice looking avocado. I am growing a Holiday avocado in a 15 gallon container, it is doing excellent. The holiday avocado has a nice compact growth habit that makes it excellent for container growing. For those looking to grow avocado in containers, I would highly recommend growing the Holiday.

o

Thanks, Nullzero, that's the kind of recommendation that is very helpful! 'Holiday'!
So....any chance that you could post a pic, or maybe even just a link to a pic?

Mike, thanks a lot! I wish you success with your Avocado, and I know you'll do just fine.
Treat it like you do your citrus and you'll be rewarded with large, healthy leaves year-round.

I should add that I usually put my Avocado in the shade of other plants until it adjusts to the
outdoor sun. It seems to be a bit sensitive to wind and sun in the Spring.

Josh

o

Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 11:28

Thanks Josh,Try #2 at posting:
-11 year old indoor plant
-a couple of blooms last year that "burned up" next to window
-this year blooming like crazy

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc509/avocado11/avocadoflowers.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: 11 year old Colorado avocado

o

Awesome blooms!
Well, I've often heard it said that Avocados take about 10 years to bloom...
Were the first blooms last year?

Josh

o

Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 23:20

Hey Josh,
Funny you should mention that. The plant did bloom last year. Just a few flowers, but they were right against the greenhouse window and got scorched within a few days.
This year they are still looking good after a couple of weeks. Will keep on checking here for the good advice...will let you know if/when the flowers do something.

o

Hello Everyone!

How are your seeds?? I checked mine, and not sure they're doing so great.

I may not have cleaned them well enough. The are getting moldy and a little fragrant, lol.. Is that how they get, or did I do something wrong.?

One looks like it may be splinting open, not sure though.

So what's the plan? ;-) do I need to clean them again?

JoJo

o

Mine are the same, JoJo... they molded, and nothing else happened. I washed off the mold and tried again... still nothing. One is turning black and shriveling, so I think it's over for that one.

I'm thinking of procuring fresh seeds and going about it in a slightly different way... I have gritty mix, a heat mat, and a lower shelf all set up for rooting cuttings and such... I'm thinking of trying this method.

For some reason I can't fathom, the paper towel/cabinet method simply isn't working in my individual environment.

o

Gosh, one more thing to add to our 'alike' list. ;-)

I wonder if our cabinet isn't warm enough?
I have mine above the oven, it's gas, so i figured it to be the warmest spot. Maybe too warm?

JoJo

o

Morning All,

I've seen a lot of avocado's started from seed throughout my life, I think it's a SoCal thing, in fact I'm surrounded by avocado orchards, really! Anyway, I've seen two method's used over the years, one is the four toothpicks in the seed sitting over a glass of water, the other is a special ceramic containers that hold the seed just over water, just like forcing hyacinths. Sometimes the ceramic containers actually look like a cut half avocado. I was always to impatient for this.

o

When I was much younger... a teenager... I got one Avocado to start using the toothpick and jelly jar, suspension over water method... but haven't been able to get a seed started since that time.

I wonder if the actual Avocado type has anything to do with it? I'm using regular fruits from the grocery store.

o

Mine too is still just a seed and still moist, but no mold thank goodness.

Hey, they were selling fruiting ones at Logee's this past weekend and I actually had one in my hand with fruit already setting on it in a one gallon pot!

But I decided not to cheat and left it there..:-)

Mike

o

Good afternoon, good evening, wherever you might be! ;-)

Thanks for your patience, and thanks for keeping this Thread lively and entertaining.

Okay, now to answer some of the questions and musings.
Jodi, yes it could be the seed...it might simply not have been properly ripened. So don't feel bad! ;-)

Secondly, I have sprouted Avocados with the toothpick method, but here's the catch:
water-roots are comprised of tissues that are differentiated from soil-roots.
This often means that the roots will break or die during the transition from water to soil mix.
I'm not saying it's impossible: I'm saying it's a hassle and not a preferred method.

I'm going to suggest to Jodi and JoJo (hello, Ladies!) that you take an Avocado pit
that hasn't shriveled, rinse any mold off, and then pot it in a small container of soil-mix.
A round, 4-inch plastic container or equivalent would work just fine. Pot the pit with about
one-third of the pit above the soil and set it in a window-sill, or near to a window-sill.

Since you've got nothing else to lose, we might as well go the traditional route ;-)
Mike, if you have a spare pit, why don't you pot it likewise and just set the pot
somewhere in your pop-up...I think it'll be fine in there.

Alright, per special request from Mike...here are some update pics from an hour ago.
I tried for a close-up of the trunk - which really isn't very thick - to show what the texture
of the mix looks like a year and a half later. Still crunchy....

Photobucket

Josh

o

That was going to be my next question, Josh... should I try to utilize any energy left in these seeds, and just pot one up and see what happens... which you answered beautifully, thank you. I will do that. :-)

We don't often buy Avocados because of the price, but when we do, it's usually a bag or box from Sam's Club. They usually take a few days to ripen to softness, and at that point, I use them in whatever recipe we're making... most often guacamole!

What I'm getting at, is that I have no idea where they originate or how they're grown, or what variety they are. I wouldn't know one from another, anyway!

My guess is that they're probably picked way before they're ripe, and the process begins while in transit to the US. They would have to be picked quite green in order to still be firm by the time they arrive on the shelf at Sam's Club.

In conclusion, I think it would be to my best advantage to look for an organically grown Avocado next time I'm out and about. I think that might net better growing results... well, maybe. Anyway, I'll be potting up a couple of slightly shriveled seeds today. Thanks, Josh! And, by the way... your trees look wonderful!

o

HI Josh!
Thanks! I will give that a try. After all, yours sprouted the traditional way. ;-)
Yours is looking great!

Jodi~
I can understand what your saying, but I doubt that be the case. We all get them from stores and are pretty green when we get them.
I too tried the water method back in school. They all sprouted.

Jerry~ Hello!

Mike~ I almost bought one at Lowes the other day. LOL! But it's not cheating, I would like one for fruit. This I'm trying to sprout was for a house plant, and planned on keeping it fairly small. ;-)

JoJo

o

Hey gals!

Mine are still doing okkkkkkk..lol:-)

I hear what you are all saying. Who the heck knows what kind of avocado I have? I hope its one of those that bloom and fruit at a young age. That would be one in a million..

Jojo: You have the best of every kind of plant I love at stores where you are! I only wish I could find just one tropical fruit plant sold anywhere locally. Boring boring boring is what I say for all the plants sold locally, except for Logee's.. They actually had some in fruit in one gallon pots coming right from the seed! I could of fooled you all..lol

You know, I just might do as Josh says and put one in a mix and stick it in my now very warm greenhouse. I remember Josh finding one in his yard.
Thanks Josh and for all the ideas. I love that tree and it looks like it is very very happy! Might I add too that your mix looks as chunky as the day you made it. Wow

Jodik: So are we in a race or what? I can't wait to see whose seed sprouts first..lol.

Thanks for the personal tidbit on getting better too. I am feeling better thanks to you girls.

Morning to you too Jerry:-)

Thanks again Josh and be will be back for more.

Have a great day.

Mike

o

Good morning!

Thanks for the compliments! As I was telling Mike yesterday, I turn the tree often
so that it doesn't take a set from leaning toward ths sun. Phototropism is heavy during
the Winter, especially for these broad-leaved Avocado plants. My Avocado is between
growth spurts right now, so I might be re-potting very soon.

Jodi, a farmer's market or other organic venue probably would provide a riper Avocado.

Most of the Avocados grown in the U.S. (95%) are grown in California, so chances are
good that your pits find their origin here.

Alright, the race is on! Hopefully we'll have a winner! ;-)

Josh

o

Hope no one minds me sharing my avocado seedling. I sprouted this one back in August at the same time as my mango. I cleaned off the pit then wrapped it in a moist paper towel placed in a ziplock bag. Put it in a dark closet and about 2 weeks later when the root started to emerge i put it in a 6 inch pot. The pot its in now is a bit too big but I needed to move it and the 5:1:1 its in drains very well.

mike

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Excellent, Mike!
You're more than welcome here, and it's great to see you outside of Citrus! ;-)

Thanks for sharing your seedling, your mix, and your method.

Josh

o

Morning to you all,

Very nice pics, I study everyones mix so I get to know what it should look like. I should be rinsing out my first batch today and repotting something.

As houseplants the avo's will look so nice, but if you want them to fruit your going to need to have two of different flowering types, an A and B. It has to do when the flowers open and close. I live in Avocado Land :0) the things are like weeds. They will LOVE the gritty mix, here we have heavy clay soil so watering has to be paid close attention to so that the roots don't stay to cold and damp. There are problems with a root disese so they have started planting them in mounded rows, like they do strawberrys, and they add gypsum at planting time also. They are tropical, they like water, but they like the soil to drain well. Which has always baffled me how they get them to grow so well here. Anyway, if your interested here is a great link for information on avocado's from UCD: http://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/

Jerry

o

Hi Josh, your Avocado tree is looking great...thanks for posting.

Mike, your seedling seems to be doing well in the 5 1 1 mix.

o

Mike(mksmth)! Glad you joined us in this thread and posted a picture! your tree looks great! I love seeing what others are growing. ;) Hope you stick around!

Jerry~ Thanks for all the info and the link!
It's funny to think that some plants grow like weeds in some area's and we pay good $$ for them in others. LOL!

I think alot of our Avocado's come from Mexico.

I will pot at least one of my seeds up tonight.

Mike~I'm sorry you don't have a better selection of plants. We do have quite a bit here. It's hot in the summer but our winter is usually pretty mild.

Nancy! Hello! Always good to see you!

JoJo

o

Nancy, it sure is nice to see you! Many thanks!

Hey, Jerry. I went ahead and re-potted my Avocado in new mix this morning, and I'll posted a few pictures
a bit later tonight.

Good job, JoJo, I hope the seed ain't a goner! ;-)

Josh

o

With all the wonderful re-potting pic-posting going on, I was encouraged to re-pot my Avocado....
As always, I would have liked to have taken more pics of the process; but I'm a one-man operation,
and once the roots are exposed I tend to work quickly. Anyhow, I hope these are sufficient :-)

This is how the Fir bark starts. I screen it over a plastic nursery flat with a 1/4 inch grid.
The bark falls through into a large pond-basket, which has 1/16 and 1/8 inch holes all around the outside.
This allows me to shake the dust and fine particulate from the screened bark. It also makes rinsing easy.

Photobucket

A handful of bark...some of these particles are larger than I'd like, but a good portion are just right.

Photobucket

A better shot of the bark in the pond-basket. I add Dolomitic Garden Lime to my bark to provide Calcium
and to adjust the pH upward. I also add Osmocote 4-month slow release fertilizer. Very helpful, I find.

Photobucket

Turface MVP screened in the pond-basket.

Photobucket

Red Pumice, sometimes sold as Scoria, also screened in a pond-basket. Rinse your Pumice!!! ;-)

Photobucket

The ingredients combined. You might be wondering where the granite grit is. I don't have granite.
This mix is something that I refer to as the gritty 5-1-1. No peat (ever!) and no perlite this year.

Photobucket

Here we are, the Avocado out of the pot.
The main root was very large, with a lot of roots growing toward the bottom of that large root.
So I removed as much as I could to encourage root-growth further up the root, and when next I re-pot
I will remove more of the root - until I'm left with a good, dense, radial root-mass.

Photobucket

A nice, tidy root-pruning.

Photobucket

Re-potted with moist mix:

Photobucket

And watered in well:

Photobucket

Josh

o

I really like seeing how everyone does things, there process, and what they have decided to throw into the mix. If I didn't already have four tree's on my hill I would have to plant me up one, they look really nice as small container plants.

I just potted up my first indoor plants yesterday, I used perlite in place of the grit to get the containers a tad bit lighter and to hold a bit more moisture.

Josh, why pumice? I ask because I was considering using that instead of the perlite in my outside containers for weight because of the wind we get, but I still needed the mix to hold more moisture, also because of the wind. Also did you mix the three in equal parts?

Jerry

o

Josh,
Everything looks great!
I need to find me a flat for sifting! I love that it's the ideal size and saves me rounding up lumber to make a sifter. ;-)

I too am curious about how you are using the pumice. I still haven't found grit, and I hate sifting perlite, not to mention I think even with sifting, it has too many small particles. Plus hate the look (at least in my containers) Just have a thing against white rock. lol!

I hope my camera cord gets here soon! was hoping it would today.

JoJo

o

Thanks Jojo and Josh!!

Great job on the pictures of your repotting process Josh...I'm a very visual person...and I'm sure many members here are too. So, its always appreciated when things are "shown" and explained as well as you did...thanks!

Your Avocado tree really looks happy and healthy...even more so now :o)

Oh, a quick question...I found the plastic tray that you use for sifting your bark at a nursery...but where did you find the pond basket for sifting the turface? Thanks!

o

Hello, Jerry, JoJo, and Nancy!

Jerry and JoJo, the Pumice is great for structure and durability, and it holds a little more
moisture internally than Perlite (which holds moisture on the outer surface). In addition to the
moisture retention, the Pumice also abrades roots and encourages root-branching. Plus, I really
like the look of Pumice in the mix. The mix is not equal parts - it's closer to the 5-1-1, but with
about 2 parts Turface and 1 part Pumice. I didn't measure ingredients this time...just eye-balled it.

Nancy, thanks so much for dropping by!
I asked my local nursery to special order these pond-baskets for me. When the baskets arrived,
they were in two sizes - medium and large. I bought three large and five medium. They weren't very
expensive, either. Check with any nursery that carries pond plants or has a water-feature area.

If the Avocado has any adverse reaction to the mix or the re-potting, I'll be sure to let ya'll know.
I think this mix will be an improvement, since I left out the fine Perlite and am using terracotta.

Josh

o

Really, so 5 parts bark? Sounds like a lot, but hey, what do I know, I've only been at this two weeks :)

Jerry

o

Hi Everyone!
I was looking at my seeds tonight to try and decide which one to pot up. And had no clue which end is up. LOL! One of my seeds is round!
So I did a little digging on the net and found this. I hope it will be of some help to others.

""Getting Started: Select an avocado that is soft when you give it a squeeze. Carefully cut fruit in half lengthwise to get to the seed. A gentle twist of the cut fruit will release your seed. Remember whether you grow it in water or in soil, set the seed with its base (the wider portion) down and the tip up. Having trouble telling which end goes down? Look for the slight stem scar on one end. That is the part that goes down and will grow roots. ""

Josh,
Thanks for all that great info!
Can't wait to hear how it does with the pumice. I'm sure it will do well, I know you have other plants growing with the use of pumice.

So, is it about 5 parts bark? And use what does fall through the screen/flat?

I was sifting the perlite tonight, and just when I think i've gotten all the small stuff out, more falls through! Grrr...
I can get dry stall, in like 40lb bags no problem from the feed store, just haven't been able to find a decent granite.

Do you screen or sift the pumice for size? It' looks pretty uniform in the bag and a good size to me. I do know there's grit which needs to be rinsed as you say or run over insect screen.

Great thread! Looking forward to more!
JoJo

o

Jerry, bark is a great filler - many times better than something like peat moss.
Since I've screened this bark, the percentage of fine dust is very low. The bark and the pumice
are fairly large particles, and the pumice displaces quite a bit of water, reducing overall volume.
The smaller turface will do the majority of the moisture retention - bridging the gaps between
the larger particles, and slowly diffusing into the bark.

JoJo, nearly all of my plants have pumice in their mix ;-)
Citrus, succulents, ferns, et cetera. If you look above at the pic of the Avocado lying on
the pond-basket, you can see the old mix with its red pumice, perlite, and bark. The only
thing I've done different is exclude the perlite this year, in favor of the screened turface.

JoJo, here's how I threw the mix together ;-)
I screened the bark - everything that fell through the screen/flat - and then shook the fine
dust out (by vigorously shaking the pond-basket). After that, I poured the bark into the terracotta pot
to see how much I had - it filled the pot a little over halfway. Then I dumped the bark back into
the pond-basket and added the turface and pumice. Gave the mix a spritz of water, and rolled it all
around in the pond-basket until it was uniformly moist.

The pumice is screened/shaken in the pond-basket, the same as the turface. The pond-baskets have holes
that are 1/16 of an inch, and a few holes that are 1/8 of an inch. Although I end up with some extra
loss of small turface, this keeps the particles larger and combats any tendency to perch water.

When I make a strict Gritty Mix, I use bark, turface, and quartz. I do have pea gravel on hand,
but I prefer the quartz because it has sharp edges, which is excellent for root-abrasion. Some day
I'll get a bag of granite grit.

This is getting long, so I'll stop here. Any other questions, please ask! ;-)

Josh

o

I am reading and reading and reading and I must say I LOVE this thread and all of you involved have helped me so much.

I been to tired to respond much, but I can tell you I appreciate so much and I havn't missed a beat in your comments!

Mike

o

Morning Josh, ok, you asked for it. I'm just curious why you decided to go with this ratio rather than a 1-1-1? What are you trying to accomplish with this mix, what will it do differently than 1-1-1?

Jerry

o

Good morning, Mike and Jerry!

Mike, thanks for checking in...I know you've been battling this illness, and I'd rather you be well!

Morning, Jerry! The reason I went with this mix is mostly moisture retention for outdoor growing.
A bark-based mix is lighter weight, easier to make, less costly, and offers nearly the same productivity
as the Gritty Mix during its first year. The Gritty Mix outperforms bark-based mix in subsequent years,
but I plan on re-potting the Avocado within two years, so I'm not as focused on the longevity of the mix.
Still, judging by the performance of the previous mix, I'm sure this mix will serve the Avocado well.

I'm not doing anything revolutionary with this mix...I'm just applying the principles learned from Al's
Threads on Soil Composition and drainage. Particle size and the durability of ingredients is of primary
importance. As Al has said, one could grow in glass shards...if one were willing to stand over the
container with the watering can in hand ;-)

I can't wait to get the Avocado outside!

Josh

o

Good Morning!
I bet it can't wait to get out too! It would melt here though, a little warm for this time of year. :-)

I got one seed potted up, and the other put back in the cabinet. We'll see what happens. the one I potted has a definite split in it.

I potted it in the straight 5-1-1.

This summer is going to be one of many experiments using the different versions of the mixes. I have a harsh climate in the summer.

Josh, I think this way of doing the 5-1-1 would be great for my tomatoes and gourds! Although I had great success last season with the standard 5-1-1 too!

JoJo

o

I paid attention to labels and stickers when we were shopping the other day... all the Avocados I came across are from the same company, and originate in Mexico. I couldn't find any organically grown ones, so I took a pass this time out. Maybe I'll grab one next time.

You'll surely win this race, Mike... my Avocado pits aren't looking too grand at this point. One out of four is black and shriveled, and the others are shriveling in short order, but we'll see... maybe I can salvage one.

Very nice photos with some great ideas, Josh... I must remember the flat with the grid, because I've got a garage full of greenhouse plastics, and I'm sure to have a flat like yours for quick screening. I'm sure I can grab a pond basket next time I'm at our local garden center. Lowe's might carry them, too... they've gotten into pond accessories lately, I've noticed. If all else fails, though, Ebay is sure to have them for a very reasonable price.

I got some Hydroton a while ago that is quite fine in size... I'm thinking of playing around with that, too.

Anyway... time to make the donuts... again! Ya'll have a nice day! :-)

o

Hey, JoJo!

If your pit has a split, I'm almost positive that the root will be emerging soon.

At this point, I think you're leading the Race!

Josh

o

Hey, Jodi!

These plastic flats make great implements for mixing.
They're an easy means of removing the largest bark particles. However, some of the
longer bark particles still slip through. I always give the finished product a quick once-over.

Have fun with those donuts!

Josh

o

Thanks Josh! I will look into a couple of possibilities in my area. I live in a fairly small town, so not a lot of places to check,lol... I might have to print your picture so they know exactly what I'm looking for...

o

"pit has split' say that 10 times fast. LOL!

I'm pretty sure it has. :-) I pottted it up , put a tent on it and have it in a window, south. I'll get some pics tonight.

Wasn't there a tortoise that won a race? ;-)

JoJo

o

Wait a minute. Maybe not yet. I really never unwrapped mine to see if mine had split!

Hold on..............

Mine has cracked too!!! Take a look. Jojo, is your's as cracked like this?
If so, then we are tied..lol

Photobucket

Josh, is this a good sign? When do I know to plant it?

And the race continues..

Thanks

o

Plant 'em, please plant 'em pronto! ;-)

A tie, neck in neck, pardon the pun! Yes, a success!
Wow, thanks for taking that pic and posting it, Mike...I'm so glad this method wasn't a bust!
Get that baby in a pot. JoJo, you've got some stiff competition...now we'll have to see
whose puts up a sprout first....and then a race to the first set of leaves.

Nancy, good luck finding a pond-basket! I'll e-mail you a better pic for your search.

Josh

o

LOL!
Mike,
How do we know you didn't get a hammer and crack it. ;-)

O.K. here's my pictures.. A little blury, I was in a hurry.
And my new cord works! Woooo Hoooo!! lol..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jojo

o

...Like the eye of some terrifying, undead Creature! ;-)

Great job, JoJo!

Josh

o

Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 13:56

I sort of concentrate on trees with little leaves, so don't grow avocados - mainly because I'm out of room; but I've been following the thread with great delight. What fun it is to see everyone having a good time and jabbering back and forth with friends about something they have a passion for! We need more fun threads like this! Great photo sequence, Josh - and I see JJ finally got her camera chord. ;o) So Mike's in the lead?

YPA

o

Ok guys.

I was able to get to my crushed granite finally and I was able to make my gritty mix. Looking at the picture, i think I should of screened the bark better and mix more, but I think it will be ok. I used the bark, granite and turface method since I have completely run out of pumice and who knows when I can get more.:0(

I also soaked the bark, YUP, for the first time since it never occurred to me to do so..lol

Here is a pic. I put it in my greenhouse and laid a piece of damp paper towel over it. Josh, if I should remove it the paper towel, just let me know, please?Maybe the plants hanging around it will have an influence.
Do any of the plants look familiar Josh?:-)

Jojo. I think you and I are tie...The thought to use a hammer did occur to me, but I couldn't find it and that would be cheating.lol
Yours looks like it is going to do good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Al, you are right. This is quite fun, but we are missing another friend here..Humm

Nancy. I hope you find those baskets. I saw them being sold at HD one day. Hope you are well too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mike

o

Good luck Jojo and Mike on your Avocado seeds...so exciting!

Thanks Josh...appreciate the pictures.

Mike, I'll check Lowe's and HD next week for the pond basket, thanks for the heads up. Mike, I spy Hoyas,lol...very nice!

o

You're very welcome, Nancy! ;-)

Thank ya, Al, it's good to see you here! This is the kind of diverse Thread that I like to follow, as well.
Lots of enthusiasm and growers from different ends of the map.

Hey, Mike! I do recognize those plants! It looks as though the Hoya has plumped up its leaves?
No more wrinkles? Let me know if it's growing. Also, good job on getting the mix together.
You could leave the paper towel, but I don't know if it's really necessary.

Since Mike and JoJo are more or less tied, we'll have to race to the first set of leaves.

Josh

o

Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 22:19

Better cue the William Tell Overature then, eh? ;o)

Al

o

That's the perfect music to accompany this race!
(loved the comments on that video ;-) hehe).

Josh

o

nice pics mike!

is the root emerging yet? There is an up and down position and you will know for sure once the root come out. I would bury the whole pit a couple inches once it emerges

mike

o

Good Morning Everyone!

I'm still thinking Mike got a hammer. ;-) LOL!

Josh, I"m looking at my picture and laughing about the eye! And it seems to even have a lash! ROFL! My cat was being nosy when I took the picture and seems to have left some hair. :-)

O.K> So were at a tie. :-)

Al~ Hello! Good to see you here! And yes, I got my camera cord finally! Boy, did I feel lost without it! LOL!
And yes, we do need more threads like this. :)

The music you posted a link too, That's funny! ROFL! I'm looking at the name thinking I know it. And as soon as I heard the first few notes, I realized what it was and started to laugh! Good choice. ;-)

Nancy, Jerry and our other Mike, good to see you all here too!

Have a great day everyone! Ill look in later.
JoJo

o

Wow, I really enjoyed going through this and its previous thread. Josh, your house plant has definitely inspired me! I've been wondering whether I could grow an avocado house plant.

I read about the water-suspension method and was a little worried so I think I'll try the ziploc-damp tissue method, as well as the pre-planted one (maybe using Al's gritty mix -- just finished going through a bunch of topics and a lot of people swear by it). Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

o

I'm officially out of the Avocado race, at least this time around. I can't seem to locate an Avocado from a different grower... it appears as though one supplier has our area locked up. The grower originates in Mexico, according to the stickers on the fruits. I can't seem to get any of the pits to germinate.

I've been watchful when shopping, though... keeping my eyes open for Avocados from a different source. When I do find one, I shall endeavor again to grow it!

You guys seem to be doing quite well! And Josh's trees are lovely!

o

Josh, I notice your avocado plant has two main stems. I am growing an avocado and I wasn't sure what to do when I saw a new branch sprouting. I cut it off because I want the main trunk to grow strong. Is it better for container avocados to have many branches?

Here's a picture of the tree and the healed spot where I cut off the new branch.

Photobucket Photobucket

o

Thesss, welcome aboard! And thanks for the compliments!

Jodi, you'll find one eventually. It might be a seasonal thing...perhaps Mexican avocados dominate
the market during the Winter months.

Hey, Sasha, your tree looks outstanding. As far as branches, it's a personal preference.
Many growers have trouble encouraging branches, and end up with a tall, ungainly container plant.
I want mine bushy, with lots of branches.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Something's gone haywire with GardenWeb, and I am no longer receiving
e-mail notification of updates to this Thread....

Josh

o

hello everyone:

what a delight it's been to read through this lengthy thread about growing avacados in containers! Josh, sasha, and jojo - your pics are beautiful! i hope your plants continue to do well.

I've been so inspired by reading this thread that i'm determined to go buy 4 or 5 avacados from the local market tomorrow, make some guac, and experiment with all three germination methods (toothpick, potting, and ziploc). I'll let everyone knows what works best for me...

one question: should i wash the pits in hydrogen peroxide before placing into ziploc bags with damp paper towels?

thanks, and keep the avacado updates coming!

o

tc

good luck with yours! just clean the pit off with warm water and dry off with a towel.

here is mine in the middle hanging out with a mango, pineapple and plumeria
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

mike

o

My avocado seedling leaves are HUGE. When it reached 1 ft height, per internet, I snipped the top leaves. A few weeks later, I now have two buds beginning to grow, one from the top, and one from the next row down. Based on this thread, it appears I can either let both grow, or snip one. I don't know which to do - I'd like to eventually have fruit from this tree :) Not sure if it'll be eternally a house/pot plant, or go outside.

Here are two pictures. There's a second seedling growing in the background, it's much lankier and leaves are about 1/8th the size.

o

Wow, those are big leaves....!
Welcome, by the way. Lower light conditions will influence larger, greener leaves
in many species. Outdoor leaves should be slightly more compact, but Avocados are known
for their large foliage, regardless. Great growing!

You might as well leave the second bud for the time being, just to see if you like how it branches.
You can always prune it in the future. I prune mine a couple times per season.

Mike, thanks for posting your plants! I can't wait to get mine outside....
by the way, would you mind e-mailing me? I have some pics I'd like you to diagnose (citrus).
Thanks!

By the way, folks, I'm no longer receiving automatic update responses to my e-mail.....
so if I miss this Thread for a few days, that's why. Keep posting!

Josh

o

Okay, cool, thanks for the reply. What exactly happens at this point, if I allow the two buds to grow? Will the trunk part below both buds continue to grow up and make a tree with two main branches? Or will it pretty much stay down low, while the two buds become sort of two main bush-branches?

o

It'll keep growing up, a tree with two main branches.
It's hard to keep Avocados low....

Josh

o

hi guys, i started with one on water suspension and a couple in the zippy bags. they are "1-week apart" lol. not sure if they are still ok? and, should i pot only when it sprouts?

Cado 1: 3 weeks

Cado 2: 2 weeks

Cado 3: 1 week

I think Cado 2 is trying to overtake Cado 3.

o
correction

correction, Cado 2 is trying to overtake Cado 1. durrr, happy friday everyone!

o

Happy Friday!

Isn't this exciting...more Avocados on the move!
Can't wait to see the progress.

Pot them when they sprout, that way all the roots will be in the intended soil-mix
and there'll be less shock to the roots.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh! I'll wait...as patiently as I can lol.

o

Hi Everyone,

Quick update...I potted Cados 2 & 3 a week ago and checked the three today:

Cado 1, large crack but no visible roots yet

Cado 2, seems to be leading with visible roots; potted in turface

Cado 3, potted in perlite, tiny root coming out of the crack (sorry bad photo)

o

Is it cheating to start with a plant? I got one from Logee's last summer and it overwintered inside surprisingly well (it flowered, but no fruit). I think it was a two-year-old plant when I got it. I look forward to reading this thread all the way through!

o

Nice pics, Thesss!

Susan, it isn't cheating at all...but you don't get to be in the running for seed-starting ;-)
This Thread is all about successful growing of Avocado in containers, and especially growing
during the difficult Winters indoors. The beauty of starting from seed is that you get
to control the potting mix and the root-health from the start, which is what leads to the
healthiest plants in the long-run.

My Avocado is still recovering from the re-potting. It was blasted with sun after the re-pot,
and I didn't protect it soon enough. Now I'm waiting for the next phase of growth.

Josh

o

• Posted by jun_ 8a-9b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 19:47

here is a blog about a seedling that produced fruit:

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado fruit from a seedling

o

Hey All,

Looks like this super-popular thread has begun to die down but I thought I would post my early progress here. I started with two avocado seeds and was going to use the water suspension method to get them going. One seed was from an over-ripe avocado and it shriveled up pretty early. I had one left and it has remained suspended on top of small glass for a little over two months. My glass is sitting on my window-sill where it gets indirect sunlight. I have been replacing the water regularly.

Only recently, the seed has been to send down a single root into the water and seed is very much cracked. I have posted images below of how my seed looks. I am quite new to taking care of plants and flowers so I have a few questions. Should I take the seed as it is now and pot it even though it has not yet sprouted a stem? I currently have a bag of Miracle Gro Moisture Control soil. Is this ok or should I opt for a grittier soil that has been much discussed in this thread? If i should go for a grittier soil, how should I go about acquiring what I need ? I hope these questions are not too much but I would really like to get something growing from seed. Any help would be great! Anyway, my pics are below.

Thanks,
Hal

o

Just started some cado seeds in a plastic baggie with a damp towel. It's just kind of an experiment, so we'll see how it goes. How is everyone else's avocado faring?

o

Hello!

Well, my Avocado finally recovered and is now growing new leaves.
As always, I can't wait to get it outside this Summer. I'd like to hear updates on the seedlings.

Josh

o

You may remember that I posted a photo of my 20-year old avocado houseplant last spring. It had been hacked back repeatedly each summer to keep it small enough to get back into the house after each summer outdoors. It was sadly neglected over the years as I focused on more interesting or exotic plants, but I kept it alive for sentimental reasons. I started it when my daughter was very young hoping to interest her in growing things. Last June I repotted it into gritty mix after root pruning for the first time in its life. The roots were a twisted mess. I also pruned the branches back by about a third. Although I kept in a sheltered area, it died pretty quickly. I left it outside and watered regularly for several months hoping it might revive, but no luck.

It was my first root pruning of many last summer, and the only failure. I don't know if avocados are particularly sensitive, if this one had other problems or I just went too far. In any case, I learned from the experience and I've decided to try again. My new pit has already produced a root. C'est la vie. I learned a lot.

o

Ohio,
I am sorry to hear that :-(
My Avocado really resented the re-potting, especially when I exposed it to the sun the next morning.

Now that you've started again, I think you'll have a much better experience.

Josh

o

I too have been inspired by these two threads. So much in fact, that I've decided to jump into the container avocado topic with both feet. Since I've always loved to eat avocados and am an avid veggie gardner, my main goal is to produce fruiting container trees.

It started a few months ago when my mom announced she was taking a driving vacation down to Florida, and made the mistake of asking me if there was anything I would like to have her bring back. To make a long story short, as of last Sunday I'm now the owner of a "Lila" cold-hardy avocado tree in a one gallon container. My intent is not only grow the Lila as a small container tree, but to use it to provide grafting scions for rootstocks I'm sprouting from seeds.

o

Greetings, Avo! And welcome!
I think your goal is admirable. I am of the same mind regarding Citrus seedlings.....
even if the seedlings don't produce fruit for years, I can always use them as root-stock for
grafting budwood from mature, fruiting trees.

One of the mistakes I made after re-potting my Avocado was (a) exposing it to sunlight too soon
and (b) not keeping it watered enough in the weeks following the re-potting. With a fast-draining soil,
I've found that I can water my Avocado very often. This Summer, I'm really going to go heavy
on the fertilizer just to see what sort of growth I can coax out of this tree.

Now that my plant is back on track, I don't intend to re-pot it for at least two years.
When I do have to re-pot again, I hope that I don't make the same mistakes. Live and learn.

Josh

o

Thanks Josh. I've just repotted my plant and have a few questions. Unfortunately, most garden supplies are very seasonal in my area,so gritty mix was not really an option. My tree will also stay outdoors in good weather, so I was also concerned that the gritty mix would dry out too easily. I opted for the Miracle Gro Palm and Cactus mix augmented with about 25% perlite. I intend to use a moisture meter to determine when to water the plant. Right now it's sitting on my planting bench in my basement, in front of a south window and is augmented by a fluorescent light fixture with two 40 watt grow tubes set to provide 12 hours of light per day. The plant is now 38 inches tall, so any pruning advice would be helpful, keeping in mind that 6 feet tall will be the maximum height I will allow it to grow. It's a nice little tree in good shape, very nicely whip-grafted, so I have high hopes.
Thanks
Kem

o

Hey, Kem, watch your plant closely for signs of wilting.
After a re-potting, those roots are "offline" for a while and not as able to supply the foliage
with moisture - as a result, leaves will often be shed, particularly if the plant is sited in
a warm, dry, or sunny location.

The soil mix you've used will hold a lot of moisture, perhaps too much in the long run.
I would have advised 75 percent Perlite to make the mix into something close to decent.
That said, I would recommend a wooden dowel or skewer to check moisture in the bottom of the pot.
It's the easiest method by far...and it's more accurate than a moisture meter, which actually
measures electrical conductivity.

As far as the Gritty Mix drying out too quickly. That's hogwash, and a completely unfounded rumor
propagated by folks who don't even use the Gritty Mix. We need to stamp the notion out whenever it
rears its head.

Pruning advice: don't prune yet ;-)
Later in the season, post some detailed pics and I'm sure we can all come up with a pruning strategy.

Josh

o

My basement is cool, at 62 degrees and 65% humidity. No sign of leaf drop or discoloration yet, but there is slight curling of the leaves, but they were slightly curled when I received the plant, a little more pronounced on the lower ones.
Ken

o

I intend to use the gritty mix next time I repot, and use it for the new plants I'm starting from seed. It's more a question of local availability, I'm going to start collecting the ingredients, as they become available..
Ken

o

Very good, Ken.

Avocados resent transplanting.
It is far easier to start them in the same mix in which they'll be grown.
That should really mitigate transplant stress in the future, too...going from the
same type of soil to the same type of soil.

Josh

o

hi this is the fist time I have ever tried anything like this.... I did the whole water deal. My plant is now about 15 in high and I am not quiet sure what to do. Where can I find the best soil for my tree? Also, I suppose I am a little late on the whole pruning deal? Im nervous!! Help please!

o

Hello!
You're "early" on the prune, as far as the season goes ;-)
Wait to start pruning until we're a little closer to the Solstice.

As for soil, I believe that mixing one's own soil is the best bet.

Josh

o

Thank you !!! Making my own soil huh??? out of what? I bought some of this and some of that. What is the best mix? Also, how would this first pruning go? Ive read to "pinch" the top. I wish I could send you a picture but i dont know how.

o

Thank you !!! Making my own soil huh??? out of what? I bought some of this and some of that. What is the best mix? Also, how would this first pruning go? Ive read to "pinch" the top. I wish I could send you a picture but i dont know how.

o

Yes, mixing your own soil.
I posted all ingredients and good descriptions in this Thread, March 10th, 2011.

Pinch or prune...basically, just chopping several inches off the top. You could cut
it back to two healthy leaves, and then wait for it to re-sprout.

Josh

o

yea sorry i meant to put up another post saying I just read above... and it couldnt be much clearer... now im jsut trying to find out where around here I could get those things... hah I live in PA... but about posting a pic... how could i do so? Also, I actually just bought an avocado tree due to how unlikely it is for mine to fruit...? now.... sooo at the very least I hope now to kill the one I purchased. ugh

..... I wish I could just purchase a soil specially made for avocado trees heh.. I think the investment would be worth it in the end.

o

My indoor avocado forest is up and running, I have 30 in various stages of development, all in Al's "gritty mix". These are all for rootstocks and are "Hass" types. Anyone out there have a producing Choquette/other Florida variety? Any chance you'd ship me some pits "freight collect"?
Thanks
Ken

o

What a Lucky man I am to find this forum. Plants are my passion and I hope I can assist and learn from you all. I have tried all of the avenues you have and not to boast I have had some great success with avacado seed in water. On the other hand, my blaring mistakes came after I had four foot plants. I lost my first two tries to weather. This spurred me on to knowledge seeking. Now I am happy to say I have managed to learn from errors and boast a 7 foot tree . I also want to share with you and share what else I have been able to do with my new learned knowledge. To Cont. If you wish to here about some good tips. LOL Toe-1

o

Hello, Toe-1.

Starting Avocado pits in water couldn't be easier.
The reason for starting in soil is so that there isn't as much root-loss when transitioning
the water-roots to traditional potting media.

My goal has always been to force my Avocado to branch low and stay as bushy as possible.
Here's a pic from last month, right before I pruned the plant down again.

o

Nice work, Josh... I see the Gritty Mix in use with the standard clay pot... my favorite way to grow most things! I have yet to find a decent avocado pit to grow from local offerings, but it's okay... I don't really have the room for a tree, anyway! Nicely branched!

o

Hey, Jodi, thanks :-)

Yes, I really favor the clean presentation and growing of Gritty Mix in terracotta.
I've got two Lemons in a similar mix in terracotta fern/azalea pots in the back there.

The Avocado is a touchy plant, and really it is quite battered. The tips of most leaves
have been eaten/frosted/burned off - rather than the usual browned tips from fertilizer burn
or dead root-tips from too much moisture. I can see by the pale leaves that I'm running the
plant a bit too lean, as well. I'll update on the new growth in the next month or so.

Josh

o

I really dislike this time of year for growing containerized plants... I'm forced to bring everything indoors to what I know is a drier environment with less natural light. My plants limp along until the weather breaks in spring, when I can open the windows, and there's more natural light coming in, etc... or I can bring some of them outdoors where they receive better light, better humidity, etc...

Even so, I feel I have a better handle on everything when I'm in control of most of the limiting or beneficial factors.

Someday, I may even have enough space to try growing a tree or two!

Personally, I think the Avocado looks fairly good for this time of year. The only thing I really notice is the color of the lower leaves. Other than that, it looks good!

o

My little forest is up to 63 now that have leaves. I have another 40 or so germinating. They've all been inside under grow lights since early October.

I've found the best way to initiate germination is with the plastic bag and damp paper towel method. I check my seeds at least once a week, and once they have a white root growing outside the pit I plant them in gritty mix. Generally, I use a six inch pot. I've found that spraying them twice per day prevents the seed from becoming dry. Once the stem comes up and leaves appear, I go to normal watering patterns with the aid of the bamboo skewer as a guide.

I use a 20% solution of 3-1-2 fert. with epsom salts in my watering solution. I've not lost a plant yet, one was doing poorly, and will hopefully come back after repotting..

o

Hey guys, I found this and the previous page by accident when doing some research on my new baby. And believe it or not, I read almost every post on these threads. This has been an entertaining evening for me.
I am nowhere near professional at this, but I enjoy planting different seeds from the fruit I eat to see what kind of a tree/plant they would grow. In the past I have done several types of citrus plants as well as separating babies from bought house plants and trying to nurse them up.
My latest adventure is an avocado seed. It seems that I have sprouted mine a little differently than majority of you guys. I washed it and let it sit in dark for some three or four days. By then the brown coating had sort of shriveled up and was peeling. So I just went ahed and picked it off (I had no idea what I was doing, but I read somewhere later that it can aid the root growing. True/false?). I then put the pit straight into some soil and made sure to keep it fairly moist. After some 2 weeks when I thought nothing was happening, I pulled the seed up a little and to my surprise, there was a root! I put it back and just kept watering it. Meanwhile my kitten managed to scratch up the top of the pit that is peaking out above the soil, but it doesn't seem to have hurt it. After another couple of weeks a sprout finally emerged on the top.
Right now my sprout is about 4in tall and has no open leaves. I think the first set is unwrinkling at the top, though. Is it normal that there are no leaves yet?
Also, my sprout looks a little different. I remember it looking normal at first, but then it stopped growing at about one inch height, and formed two buds on the sides. One has turned into the new lead, the other one seems to be trying to open a set of leaves right there at the bud. What do you think could have caused this? It doesn't really bother me, in fact I am wondering if it will result in a lower and bushier plant? I'd love for it to be quite low.

o

Welcome, Lexi!

I'm so glad you found "us" :-)
It sounds as though your Avocado is growing normally enough, and preparing to set
leaves or side-branches off the main stem. Can you post a picture of the new growth?

Once your plant has grown some true leaves, then you can pinch off the top to encourage
bushiness and low branching.

Josh

o

Josh,

I'm going to try to add some pictures, hopefully it works. I had to stick my fingers in each photo because my phone refused to focus on the steam in the sad excuse for light we're having outside today.
Two things, though. First, as you can see, I didn't exactly pick the best time to attempt the sprouting. It keeps leaning into the light every day, and I keep turning and turning it in hopes that spring (and more light) is coming soon.
Second,for now the little guy is in some succulent/cacti soil. It's probably not quite the best for it, but I didn't really expect this to work. So I think I will attempt the mix you all are talking about later this year. I'm not sure when it would be the best time for it.

Overall, isn't it funny how we get attached to these little experiments? I read about how you acquired yours, cute story!

o

here's a picture of the leaning top and leaves that are on the way :)

o

Hello!

Yes, we do become attached to our little experiments :-)
Some of us, like IowaAvo,
end up with an entire forest of 'em, hahaha. I have an army of Jade cuttings that I
have the hardest time throwing out.

I constantly turn my plants to take advantage of the Helio or Photo-tropism that is especially
poignant this time of year. Keep doing what you're doing and when Summer comes, the growth will be
more vertical.

The pot looks large enough to suit the Avocado for this year.

Josh

o

Josh,

I'm not so much worried about the size of the pot, but rather the soil. Will the succulent/cacti soil do for a year?

I also have a Jade (Gollum), but it is a smaller branch with roots on it that was given to me. So far it's been doing good and after finding the Jade thread on here I finally have an idea how to get the droppings to root too.

Anyway, back to the subject, thanks for taking a look at it. It's good to get encouragement from someone who's been successful in this. What do you think about the early "forking" on the stem? I'm really curious about what shape the plant will end up taking.

o

Avocados resent re-potting and root-disturbance, and so I'm not going to advise you to change the soil....
because I don't want to be responsible if it dies. Given that folks grow Avocados in such awful soils,
I think yours will be just fine for the next season. Just be sure not to overwater during the Winter.
Put a wooden skewer into the pot to determine when the mix is actually drying out.

The forking of the stem is really no indication of the future shape.
Avocados are so apically dominant that they'll keep pushing upward and shedding
lower leaves and even branches. Give your plant some grow-time, then start pruning hard
this upcoming season.

Josh

o

I have two avocado seeds I would like to grow. I've only seen them grow in water with toothpicks. I have MG potting soil. Should I use a really small pot to grow them in?

o

Zackey,
try putting the seeds in a damp paper towel, in an open zip-lock sandwich bag.
Put 'em in a drawer if you want, or on a kitchen window-sill, and wait for the
seed to split and a root emerge. Then, plant it half-buried in a reasonable pot -
4 - 6 inches or so. I wouldn't use MG soil and I won't advise you to, either.
Is there any other option? Do you have Perlite?

Josh

o

Josh, that's good to know, thanks! I will be sure to post some updates as my baby grows.

I remember reading post about sprouting races here. How are your seeds/pits doing? Anyone has any pictures?

o

Thanks greenman28! I will try that. The only other thing I have is garden sand. I have no money to spend on perlite or other potting soil at this time.

o

Greetings josh, I spent last night reviewing this entire thread and I put together a timeline of your activities. Thank you.

I started my avocado seed 12/19/12 in cactus mix and charcoal. It is finally starting to sprout. I will be following your plan because like you, I want a nice bushy house plant.

I live in Seattle. My home has forced air heat.

My question is: what are your thoughts on the mix I have used?

o

Hello!

Lexi, I think several of the pits failed, and so the races were abandoned.
Maybe this year folks will have another race :-)

Welcome, Sharkluva, glad to have you here.
Cactus Mix is usually peat-based, despite the fact that it's marketed for cacti.
It will probably work for a season, but I would recommend putting together a mix
that will allow better drainage (for the Winters indoors).

Incidentally, my Avocado has begun to grow again after the pruning I gave it.

Josh

o

Hi Josh,
So I live in the Maine woods, but have a lovely sunroom in which I have grown two avocados, which are now a couple years old. They are about 5 feet tall, but, as with most indoor avocados, they have only a few dozen leaves clustered in the top 18 inches or so of each plant, and each has a single side branch that's about a foot long with about 6 leaves. So what do you think -- should I prune them? Kind of afraid to do so! Am I too late?

o

I think your right about the race. ;-) My pit, and Mikes died off. Can't remember the rest. :-)

JoJo

o

Hey, JoJo! Well, there's always this year ;-)

Bristol, welcome. It's good that you have two plants...one to play with ;-)
What you describe is exactly what happens with most Avocados that are grown in pots,
in northern areas, without pruning. That growth habit isn't limited to these conditions,
of course.

I would wait until the Avocado is growing with full vitality this Summer, then prune.

Josh

o

Hello! I have been reading this post from the beginning. I came across it while searching for an answer to my question. I have an avocado plant that I started last July. I put it in water and waited for it to sprout. I planted it in a one-gallon pot in September. It is a pitiful-looking plant! It's about 3 and a half feet tall and skinnier than a pencil. The leaves have turned black and all fell of but one, which is half-black. There are some little sprouts trying to leaf out at the top, but I don't want that. I want it to get fatter and bushier.

I live in NE Texas where the summers are hot and the winters can get fairly cold. So I cannot put it outside at this time. I am sure it probably needs a lot more light than it has been getting. My main question is, how far back should I cut it? Like I said, it has ONE leaf. And some buds at the top of its skinny stalk. I am tempted to cut about a foot off of it, but I don't want to kill it. It looks nothing like some of the nice-looking avocado plants people are posting on here...

o

Hello, Elektra!

Don't prune it now. We're in the depths of Winter, and the plant is most likely
at its lowest level of vitality (having used up stored energy during the Winter months).
Check out the advice that I just gave to Bristol in the post immediately above - same applies.
If the plant is still alive in a month, new growth should be apparent. Once the plant really
starts to grow this Summer, then you should prune as far down as you want - basically, prune
it to the height where you want the first branching to occur.

Josh

o

One tip on pruning: Once your avocado starts putting on new growth, you can cut it back drastically. But, always be sure to leave one of those buds, or preferably two, at least an inch below the cut. Outside in the summer, my mature avocado could put on as much as four feet in growth on all branches. They are very vigorous in their preferred conditions. But if you want to maintain them as houseplants, you need to thwart their desire to become 20-foot trees.

When it is growing well, you can do what bonsai growers do and "chase growth" back toward the main trunk to get a bushier plant. When I cut mine back to the two lowest budding points, it often produced new bud points lower down on the trunk. And once those started growing out, I could prune further down the trunk to them. You only want to do this during a period of vigorous growth, though. IME, when avocados have to spend winter months inside, they become sensitive primal donna's who swoon in adverse conditions.

o

Thanks for the advice! I will see how it does and return to post pictures. Thanks

o

True Josh, :-)

JoJo

o

Hey Josh, I recently stumbled onto plants with braided trunks. Do you think an avocado would do well braided?

o

I'm now up to around 100 of the little guys. I use the damp paper towel method for germination. Once the root grows out, its put into gritty mix.

I'm eagerly awaiting spring, when I plan to have two more grafting scions shipped in.

o

I am glad this thread exists! Being a huge avocado lover I have been thinking of attempting to grow a Hass or Bacon variety as I live in a climate with fairly cold winters.

If I grew an avocado in a container would it hibernate as some other plants do? Could I store in the garage over winter?

o

Very nice, Iowa! A full forest of Avocado you have :-)

Naikii, no sir, I'm sorry to report that will not work with an Avocado.

Josh

o

With Spring around the corner, the Avocado has started putting on new growth where she was pruned. I think I'll need to nip the most vigorous branches back!

o

We keep getting a tease of spring weather, but then the temperature drops again, reminding us it's still winter!

Josh, I do see the littlest bit of new growth beginning on a few plants I have, none of which are avocados. Nice job with yours! I gave up looking for a decent pit to grow... I'll run into one at some point, I'm sure.

o

I have a grafted avoocado I belive it is the Day variety that I am growing in a container. Besides the main trunk there are several other limbs growing from the base of the tree. Is this considered sucker growth and should these limbs be removed to encourage growth of the primary trunk? Thanks!

o

If the growth is emerging from below the graft, yes you will want to remove it, Cognac.

An update from last month of my Avocado....

Josh

o

So happy to find this thread! I've been agonizing over what to do with my plant and this is obviously the group to advise me.

I have an avocado plant that's under a year old. I didn't prune it aggressively enough, and it's now taller than makes sense for my apartment.

I have new seeds starting, but I'd love to keep this plant, too (it's my first!). I understand that with full-grown trees in orchards, farmers will chop them off at the trunk when they get too tall, and they regrow and produce fruit again.

Has anyone tried that with houseplant-sized trees? Mine does have several nodes fairly low on its stem/trunk, so it seems that regrowth is at least a possibility. (I have an additional photo of the trunk but couldn't figure out how to add it.)

If I do it, it seems that I should do it soon, as it's in a growth phase and recovering well from some leaf pruning. Or is it best to let it mature more and chop it next year? Thanks!

o

Hi, Kira!
Will your avocado be going outdoors or getting any natural light? If so, it would be best to wait to prune until it has been outside for a few weeks.

I would say you can prune any time in June, and new growth should emerge quickly. Indoors, new growth won't be as quick, as healthy, or as compact. Chopping to a bare trunk, indoors, could kill the seedlings, as well. Indoor plants just don't enjoy the same vitality as plants treated to the outdoors...so keep these caveats in mind.

Josh

o

After the last pruning, new tips began to grow...but the larger and more dominant tips took over. And so I snipped those dominant tips to encourage the shorter tips to catch up. Since then, the next wave of growth has begun.

Josh

o

Thanks for the thoughts, Josh.

Unfortunately, I don't have outdoor space, so it's completely an indoor plant. I could bring it to my office, where it would get more light, in hopes of giving it a better chance of getting through a trunk chop.

If I get up the nerve to chop it off, I'll let you know how it goes!

o

I have an avocado that is about 5 ft. It desperatly needs to be repotted and I am in the process of making the "gritty mix" (as soon as I can get all the ingredients). After the mix is made, I want to put it in a whiskey barrel planter. Would this be a viable planter for the avocado? Also, I will need to drill holes in the bottom for drainage. Would it be a good idea to put landscape fabric in the bottom to prevent the mix from falling through?

o

hopefully your little project "tree" will fruit in 5, 6 more years greenman...

o

I have been following this forum since January 2013. I started my Avo from seed December 2012. 1 month ago I purchased a 5 year old Don Gillogy. I repotted both using Al's Gritty Mix. They are not doing well at all. I really need advice to save these/my babies.

o

Hello!

Only one image is showing up for me. Are you watering and fertilizing copiously? My avocado in a gritty mix in a clay pot in a small volume requires watering every other day now that it is becoming root-bound.

My tree had again gotten too tall....

o

And chopped down a bit....

o

I thought it has gone:

aVocado 01AG13A photo IMG_3036_zps45921438.jpg

It does not look normal to me.

Caelian

o

It's alive!

Josh

o

Nice tree, Josh! It's coming along very well!

o

Oh that's an attractive little tree, that does it. I must dig this up this fall!

o

Thanks, ladies!
Dig it up, that's how I got mine ;-)
Get as much root as possible.

Josh

o

...double post

This post was edited by greenman28 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 11:28

o

...triple post

This post was edited by greenman28 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 11:26

o

I said before about my first Avocado "it does not look normal to me" Now it looks some what exception :-0 One SEED 4 STEMS WOWHH I love the sizes of these 4 stems. I am going to re-pot it.

photo IMG_3317_zps9a377419.jpg

Josh, it could be my last post of my Avocado picture here :-)

Caelian

o

Just I repotted and broke the two main roots, it was so deep rooted. Still it has about 3 inches main big roots.

Caelian

o

Good luck!
Yes, the roots go deep, and they do not have many root-hairs near the seed...mostly further away. Caelian, be sure to keep the mix moist or else the leaves will wilt and possibly die. I even put a jug over mine when it was newly dug from the ground to help conserve moisture and prevent direct sun from drying it out. Keep it protected for at least two weeks, then start fertilizing 1/2 strength at first.

This Thread is almost at its limit, and so a new Avocado Thread will be started.

Josh

o

My avocado was in a big container I have grown orange. Now it is in a small container, I keep them moist but it was exposed to direct sunlight today. I will follow your advice from tomorrow, thank you.

Caelian

o

Yes, move it into shade and out of the wind.
I have more trouble re-potting Avocados than any other plant. They sulk for a long time after.

Well, this will conclude another fine Thread :-)
Thank you, all!

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here