Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting Soil

Posted by ideal2545 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 15:43

Hi Everyone,

So I need to find a potting soil that my aunt can use without having to go through to much work. I don't think shipping her 511 mix would be cost effective. I was thinking of telling her that 50/50 commercial potting soil and vermiculite should be easy enough for her to make without needing to move too much and it should be well draining enough for a few of her container veggies she wants to try this year.

Does that sound okay to you guys, or could you suggest another "easy for older person to make" soil that actually does ok?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting Soil

Use perlite not vermiculite.

o

I agree, use perlite.

o

I, too, agree... perlite.

Vermiculite has a tendency to hold way too much moisture.

It might also be a good idea to kind of sift out the dust that often comes with perlite, so you're left with pieces that will actually help instead of hinder.

o

I,too,agree...perlite.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here