Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is a bottomless container still a container?

Posted by DixieGardner 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 16:18

I have raised beds, 4 x 12 feet. One of them is devoted to tomatoes...4 plants evenly spaced down the center of the bed. I would like to use some of the space at the edges for carrots and parsnips. I can get food grade 5 gal buckets from a nearby resturant. I was thinking of putting the tomatoes in these to get them higher and doing a better job staking them so they don't sprawl all over the place. I was wondering if I drilled several 3 or 4 inch holes in the bottom of the buckets if that would allow the tomato roots to go deeper and maybe have a bigger, healthier plant. Any thoughts on that? Should I fill the buckets as if they are containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is a bottomless container still a container?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 17:51

The buckets you described would become mini raised beds as soon as the medium inside the bucket comes in contact with the (ground) soil. Hydrology is what differentiates raised beds from containers. Because of this, you can get away with using much heavier (water-retentive) media in that sort of set-up than in conventional container plantings. It is very likely your plants WILL be bigger and stronger if you adopt what you're suggesting.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here