Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnyangeles

Please Help: Beginner Window Strawberry Grow

JohnnyAngeles
11 years ago

This will be my first experience personally growing anything outside of science class. I'm 20, live in my own apartment, in arid Mesa Arizona, have a south-facing balcony, and would like to grow strawberries in my windowsill.�

Due to the direction, I get sunlight from nearly dawn to dusk. I'd prefer to grow inside for mainly 2 reasons: To fragrance/oxidize my apartment, and because the daytime temp will hit triple-digits for weeks (months) on end.�Winters are very moderate, to say the least.

What are a few species you recommend? I'd like to pick fruit for as year-round as I can; would you advise a few "June-bearing" plants planted at different times, or a few "Ever-bearing" plants? Or an entirely different set-up? I'd like to keep it modest though, it's a windowsill garden not a windowsill orchard.�

What size, generally speaking, should the containers be? How deep should they be? Would it be better, hypothetically, to have 3 plants in a single long container or 3 separate containers?

I'm looking for advice and guidance on any or all aspects of this, including anything I may not ask (I am a beginner, y'know !)

Comments (3)