Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil sieve for screening pink bark fines

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 16:43

Can this soil sieve set that is available on amazon.com be used for screening pinebark fines? is this a good bargain?
http://www.amazon.com/Soil-Sieve-Stainless-Steel-diameter/dp/B0007P4JAU/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1298237834&sr=1-1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil sieve for screening pink bark fines

Here's an active link: Soil Sieve on Amazon

Those screens look fairly small, but I don't know what the mesh-sizes are in inches.
I use 1/4 inch and 1/8 inch screens primarily.

Josh

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 20, 11 at 21:15

I think they would be ok for screening the fines out of Turface or calcined DE, the dust out of granite, and they're likely ok for the low (small) side of bark fines, but you'll probably want at least 1 larger screen for the bark - 3/8 or maybe even 1/2" would work as your largest screen.

I have a number of tools by Joshua Roth, a very respected manufacturer of quality bonsai tools, so the price is a fair one.

Al

o

Hey Kandhi!!

I looked for your email to send you some names of nurseries..you had said in another thread that you may be visiting VB soon...you can send me an email lmjusa@yahoo.com and i will provide a list of my favorites...CHeers! To a fellow Virginian!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

o

Sorry to be so confused about this screening thing. I think I've read about a dozen threads about this. Could you guys clarify what you use each of these sizes for one more time? I think you're saying you use fine screens like these (described as 1/10th to 1/4 inch wide) to screen out fine particles in Turface that you don't use in the gritty mix. In other words, you discard what goes through the screen. Then you use a larger screen of up to 1/2 inch to screen bark for either mix, and you only use the bark that goes through the screen in your mix, discarding what stays on top. Is that right?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 10:17

Best for:

The 5:1:1 mix

Partially composed pine bark in dust to 1/2", uncomposted works fine, too

sphagnum peat - lumps broken up - I push mine through a 1'2" screen

coarse perlite, if available (if not, medium is fine)

Gritty mix

Pine bark screened to 1/8 -3/8 (some 1/2" included is ok if leaving it in eliminates an extra step)
or
fir bark in 1/8-1/4"

Turface screened over insect screen (fines that pass through the screen used elsewhere)

crushed granite - Gran-I Grit in grower size or #2 cherrystone. A brief screening over insect screen to remove the dust. Particle size of these products is usually about 1/8-1/4

The idea is to keep the particle sizes of the inorganic fraction of the gritty mix as close to 1/8" as possible. The bark should be a little larger to allow for some breakdown over 2-3 years.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here