Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiofem

What's blooming at your house?

Here it is Groundhog Day and the temperature is in the low 60s for the second time this week in Southwest Ohio. We've had a few light snows since last fall, but I don't believe the temperatures have dropped below 20 degrees all winter. Daffodils and garlic are sprouting in the garden and pansies have been in bloom for months outside my kitchen door.

These pansies have been growing in a container of 5-1-1 since early October. I have only watered them a few times since Thanksgiving, and never fertilized. They are on the south side of my house and get a little bit of morning sun. Generally, our winter weather is cold enough to kill pansies well before Christmas.

{{gwi:6292}}

This is an Appleblossom amaryllis growing in gritty mix in my kitchen. This bulb actually bloomed last January and then again in July, about a month after I transplanted it into the gritty mix. The flowers are close to 10 inches across.

{{gwi:6294}}

What isn't blooming for me yet are my clivias. They are often late because I can't give them the long chill they want in the fall.

Is anything blooming at your house?

Comments (5)