Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's blooming at your house?

Posted by Ohiofem 5b/6a OH (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 16:54

Here it is Groundhog Day and the temperature is in the low 60s for the second time this week in Southwest Ohio. We've had a few light snows since last fall, but I don't believe the temperatures have dropped below 20 degrees all winter. Daffodils and garlic are sprouting in the garden and pansies have been in bloom for months outside my kitchen door.

These pansies have been growing in a container of 5-1-1 since early October. I have only watered them a few times since Thanksgiving, and never fertilized. They are on the south side of my house and get a little bit of morning sun. Generally, our winter weather is cold enough to kill pansies well before Christmas.

This is an Appleblossom amaryllis growing in gritty mix in my kitchen. This bulb actually bloomed last January and then again in July, about a month after I transplanted it into the gritty mix. The flowers are close to 10 inches across.

What isn't blooming for me yet are my clivias. They are often late because I can't give them the long chill they want in the fall.

Is anything blooming at your house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's blooming at your house?

Nice big bloom, Ohio!

Currently, I have two Euphorbias blooming, a Peace Lily blooming, a Christmas Cactus blooming,
and an Orchid blooming.

Josh

o

I have a few DR's blooming and a Penang Peach Plumeria.

Hope to have my Taj Mahal bloom in a few weeks..ill keep my fingers crossed!!!

Penang Peach

Take care,

Laura

o

Wow, Laura, I didn't even know that plumeria could be grown as houseplants, and it's one of my favorite flowers!

Do you have any tips or guides for a plumeria newbie?

o

Laura: That is a stunning beauty. I know you have many beautiful plumerias, but I thought you let them go dormant in winter. How did you get this beauty to bloom? Plumerias are one of my favorite flowers too.
Robin

o

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Ssmdgardener!

Plumeria grow quite well in containers!!!

They are my favorite as well!!

I do have a few... : )

I would be more than happy to help you in any way.

You can send me an email if you would like!!

Robin,

Thank you for the kind comments on my Plumeria.

I do let most of my Plumeria go dormant because of space issues. I have about 20-30 active right now. This particular variety pushed an inflo this fall and i didnt think it would continue to respond. You know how sensitive they can be. I was nervous that it would abort the inflo, but it continued to please...

Since you do like Plumeria here are a few of my favorites from this summer!

Hope you enjoy!!!

Black Tiger
Photobucket

Lani

Photobucket

Daisy Wilcox

Photobucket

J-105
Photobucket

Take care,

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here