Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it easier to start a bare-root tree in the Gritty Mix?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 16:56

Would a bare root fruit tree grow easier in a conventional mix or in the gritty mix? I've read through a lot of the posts about the gritty mix, and understand its advantages. It's just that I've killed a few plants in the gritty mix. I chalked it up to operator error. I believe in the mix, since so many of you guys are having success with it. As of now the only thing that is thriving in the gritty for me is an Elephant Ear. I've killed a wax jambu, a ficus benjamina, a bare-root persimmon, and some citrus. I felt real bad after they died, but haven't given up. I really want to grow my container plants in the gritty mix. I'm gonna get a bare-root fruit tree to try again. If it goes well, then I'll try to transfer my prized Michelia alba to the mix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it easier to start a bare-root tree in the Gritty Mix?

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 20:43

The University of Missouri has a system called Missouri Gravel Beds that was designed to hold bareroot trees for all season planting. The gravel beds are pea gravel and turface which is quite close to gritty mix. Considering they use that system to hold 12 foot trees and gritty mix holds more water, I think gritty mix can work just fine for bareroot trees. It will definitely be easier than barerooting a cotainer plant.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 21:07

I have about 275-300 woody shrubs and trees in containers. ALL are regularly bare-rooted and potted or repotted in the gritty mix. I probably bare-root and repot at least 200 trees of varying size each year into the gritty mix.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Al

o

Fantastic, Al! I always love seein' your chops ;-)

I agree that starting with an already bare-root tree should be much easier than bare-rooting a tree in an old mix.

Josh

o

Fantastic, Al! I always love seein' your chops ;-)

I agree that starting with an already bare-root tree should be much easier than bare-rooting a tree in an old mix.

Josh

o

I love the way Al,(tapla) whacks off those tap roots. Many gardeners lack the guts to make the cuts. Al

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 19:22

Lol - the first 10,000 were the hard ones. ;-)

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here