Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
E.B. Stone Orchard Bark for 5-1-1?

Posted by ItchyHands 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 17:17

I was just wondering if anyone has used E.B. Stone's fine or medium orchard bark to make the gritty or 5-1-1 mix. If so, how is it working out for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: E.B. Stone Orchard Bark for 5-1-1?

I have a bag of the "fine" bark in the trunk of my car right now...haven't unloaded yet. I'll screen some tomorrow and see how it performs. It doesn't look composted, but I think it could be used in the 5-1-1.

It costs $9 for a bag, so I hope there isn't much waste.

Josh

o

Awesome! I'll be checking in for an update. Thanks!

o

I haven't forgotten...just haven't had time to screen yet.

Josh

o

Well, I'm back...still trying to figure out the new photobucket format.....

E.B. Stone "fine" Orchid Bark is a nice product, but it is not cost-effective for mixing large batches of 5-1-1 (or Gritty Mix). I recommend the Greenall Micro Bark, which is the same fir bark, but in twice the volume and for the same price. Greenall is just a different packaging for E.B. Stone.

That said, for the 5-1-1, most of the material will pass through a 1/2 inch screen. However, a lot of these pieces are narrow but long, and so you'll need to manually remove the pieces that "spear" through the screen longwise. Also, I notice a good deal of sapwood ("matchsticks"), and that, too, must be sorted out by hand. The sapwood is well under 10 percent, but I find it visually jarring in a nice planting.

The product under review:

Photobucket

A piece of 1/2-inch hardware cloth over a large pond-basket for collecting screened material. My plastic nursery plant-carrier with 1/4-inch grid sitting to the left.

Photobucket

A couple handfuls of bark on the 1/4-inch screen:

Photobucket

And the pieces that did not pass the 1/4-inch screen:

Photobucket

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here