Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greeningup123

Low-Income Neighborhood Planters

greeningup123
11 years ago

Hello All,

We are a housing agency looking to add large decorative planters to one of our low-income neighborhoods. What do I mean by large? - planters will be 42" wide by 32" tall. Obviously we will be using potting soil, drainage stones at the bottom of planters, and mulch to help retain moisture. We accomplished a similar project last Summer where we planted tropical vines and annuals, such as Supertunias and sweet potato vines. However, with this separate project, we are trying to make these planters as low-maintenance as possible. In terms of low-maintenance, I mean that we are looking for things that do not require much water.

Here is my rough idea: a Dwarf Alberta Spruce will be planted in center of planter. Then four (4) plants will be planted around the spruce (similar to the thriller, filler effect).
My hesitation is when it comes to these filler plants. Originally I thought Gold Mop/Thread Cypress, but I was also thinking about some type of ornamental grass as the fillers. Would Miscanthus, or maiden grass be a good filler? Will they survive the winters here in Connecticut and come back nicely the next Spring even in containers? Will grasses in planters require a lot of water, or are there certain varieties that are more drought tolerant than others?

SEE PICTURE FOR PROPOSED OPTIONS.

Welcoming all and any comments!!

Thank you,

Greeningup123

Comments (4)