Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low-Income Neighborhood Planters

Posted by greeningup123 CT (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 17:37

Hello All,

We are a housing agency looking to add large decorative planters to one of our low-income neighborhoods. What do I mean by large? - planters will be 42" wide by 32" tall. Obviously we will be using potting soil, drainage stones at the bottom of planters, and mulch to help retain moisture. We accomplished a similar project last Summer where we planted tropical vines and annuals, such as Supertunias and sweet potato vines. However, with this separate project, we are trying to make these planters as low-maintenance as possible. In terms of low-maintenance, I mean that we are looking for things that do not require much water.

Here is my rough idea: a Dwarf Alberta Spruce will be planted in center of planter. Then four (4) plants will be planted around the spruce (similar to the thriller, filler effect).
My hesitation is when it comes to these filler plants. Originally I thought Gold Mop/Thread Cypress, but I was also thinking about some type of ornamental grass as the fillers. Would Miscanthus, or maiden grass be a good filler? Will they survive the winters here in Connecticut and come back nicely the next Spring even in containers? Will grasses in planters require a lot of water, or are there certain varieties that are more drought tolerant than others?

SEE PICTURE FOR PROPOSED OPTIONS.

Welcoming all and any comments!!

Thank you,

Greeningup123

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low-Income Neighborhood Planters

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 20:46

gravel at the bottom does nothing for drainage.

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 20:49

if you want low maintenance trees, put them in the ground.

o

Winter survival..... In a heavier cement container yes but whats more probable for your plan, in and amongst the community you described.....These sized containers often end up as plant-less trash receptacles combo out side ash tray.

If ground grown option is used plows and ice melts ( salts) and even people with foot traffic would need to be considered in your plan for a more prime locations for best placement.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 16:09

Plastic or fiberglass planters require less watering. Porous planters, like terracotta or concrete, dry out faster.

In growing zones where it freezes (if left out over winter) terracotta and ceramic pottery will break or chip and flake.

I have to agree, in a commercial setting, smokers inevitably crush out their cigarettes in planters, regardless of what is trying to grow in it.

hth,
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here