Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gross Wick for Gritty Mix Help!

Posted by rubyjchang 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 18:08

Hi Everyone!

I have a very quick question. I have been using the wick method to get a handle on watering in the Gritty Mix (as well as to ensure that excess water drains out-since my Gritty Mix still has a bit of PWT; every time after watering and then tipping my pot, a bit more water will drain out).

Does anyone ever have a problem with the wick getting moldy? I know this is gross...but with the less air flow around in the winter (+warmer indoor temp), my wick has decided it wants to get moldy. I soaked the moldy part of the wick with diluted bleach. But I am afraid that maybe the bacteria on the wick may travel upward to the soil?

Am I doing something wrong such that my wick is all gross?

Thank you!
Ruby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gross Wick for Gritty Mix Help!

Hello, Ruby, what material are you using for your wick?

I would recommend something less caustic, like Hydrogen Peroxide, when you clean your wick.

Otherwise, plants co-exist with many, many different bacteria and fungi,
and hardly ever is there is problem.

Josh

o

I am using an all cotton wick (mop head)-bleached. It does get disgusting?

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 13:13

Cotton rots quickly & should be avoided. I actually have a woven nylon tie from an onion or citrus bag that I've been using as a wick for years & years. Works great & obviously doesn't rot.

Usually, you only need a wick until the planting has matured to the point where the entire root mass is colonized by roots. After that, you can remove the wick. I use mop strands from 100% rayon mop heads for my wicks. One mophead costs under $5 and you'll get hundreds of wicks & years of service for your investment.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Al

o

Al,

Any suggestions for adding a wick to existing containers? I'm not sure how I could get the mop strand up into the mix through the mesh. I just learned about this and tested it by putting a towel under my azalea. I was surprised by how much water came out. I think my wet-foot-hating azalea will be much happier with me now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Angela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here