Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant spacing for veggies

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 18:11

Basically, it's the only way I know how to describe what I'm asking.

There are recommendations of how much to plant, but this is referring to doing it via a plot in the ground.

These recommendations are fine for that, but with container gardening, it makes no sense.

Below is a list of what the planting guidelines are. I know they're general, but it's basically what I could find.

Beets-a 10 foot row
Carrots-a 10 foot row

Greens (spinach, mustard greens, swiss chard, argula, mizuna [japanese mustard green], bok choi [chinese cabbage], pak choi [miniature variety of bok choi] and basically any other leafy green thing you can think of applies here) a 10 foot row

Onions (red,yellow, white; as well as sets-shallots, scallions, etc.) a 5 foot row, 'single plantings' (what does this mean? I don't know)

Turnips-a 10 foot row

Leaf lettuce-10 foot row

Radishes-a 5 foot row (successive plantings-I'm assuming it's referring to red radish only). It doesn't specify how much to plant for white radishes (large, white asian; milder in flavor, bigger in length and take longer to mature)

Somebody recommended figuring out the square footage based on what the size of the container is. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that because I'm really bad with math.

Size containers I use are 5, 10, 20, and 30 gallons. I don't know off the top of my head what the dimensions for them with length, width, and height are. Is this info necessary to find square footage?

Also I'm wondering how many squash plants to plant for enough for 2 people

The type of squash I'm referring to is....

Spaghetti
Buttercup
Acorn
Butternut
Kabocha (Japanese asian pumpkin, much smaller than American pumpkins)
Pie Pumpkins (small ones ideal for making puree)

Can somebody help me with converting these measurements with a plot to something that would make sense for container gardening? What exactly is the 'formula' for making the calculations for the conversion of row spacing in a plot to something for containers?

Below is what I'm referring to:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant spacing for veggies

Toward the end of last summer I started using the planting guides for square foot gardening in my containers. I had trouble getting my root crops to form subsurface bulbs. Can't say that it helped with them, but I still feel the spacing is probably closer to what will work for containers.

You can find a list of planting guides for square foot gardening by doing a computer search for the info. Hope that helps.

o
RE: plant spacing for veggies

Kawaiineko, a good working guide is to think of the end product. Carrots, a long, tap-root crop, will require a different spacing from lettuce or other leaf crop.
For the carrot, it is best to confine the root room to discourage root branching. I have seen beautiful carrots grown in sections of 6" clay pipes set upright and filled with a good potting soil. 3 or 4 seeds were sown and the seedlings thinned out to a single plant which was grown to maturity.
For an above ground crop think of its "canopy" or spread. The objective is to have the leaf edges of the mature plant just touching, thereby completely utilizing the available area. Thus the more upright growing "Bok Choi" can be more closely spaced than say, mustard or cauliflower. I once mystified passers-by who thought that a watermelon vine was growing out of a rock-pile. I had sneaked an 'earthbox'-sized planter with seedlings into the apex of the pyramidal heap. Over time the vines completely covered the rock-pile and water-melons were available for the taking. The point is that for a vine crops, comparatively little root room is required but a great deal of surface area.
I hope that this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here