Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

plant spacing for veggies

Basically, it's the only way I know how to describe what I'm asking.

There are recommendations of how much to plant, but this is referring to doing it via a plot in the ground.

These recommendations are fine for that, but with container gardening, it makes no sense.

Below is a list of what the planting guidelines are. I know they're general, but it's basically what I could find.

Beets-a 10 foot row

Carrots-a 10 foot row

Greens (spinach, mustard greens, swiss chard, argula, mizuna [japanese mustard green], bok choi [chinese cabbage], pak choi [miniature variety of bok choi] and basically any other leafy green thing you can think of applies here) a 10 foot row

Onions (red,yellow, white; as well as sets-shallots, scallions, etc.) a 5 foot row, 'single plantings' (what does this mean? I don't know)

Turnips-a 10 foot row

Leaf lettuce-10 foot row

Radishes-a 5 foot row (successive plantings-I'm assuming it's referring to red radish only). It doesn't specify how much to plant for white radishes (large, white asian; milder in flavor, bigger in length and take longer to mature)

Somebody recommended figuring out the square footage based on what the size of the container is. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that because I'm really bad with math.

Size containers I use are 5, 10, 20, and 30 gallons. I don't know off the top of my head what the dimensions for them with length, width, and height are. Is this info necessary to find square footage?

Also I'm wondering how many squash plants to plant for enough for 2 people

The type of squash I'm referring to is....

Spaghetti

Buttercup

Acorn

Butternut

Kabocha (Japanese asian pumpkin, much smaller than American pumpkins)

Pie Pumpkins (small ones ideal for making puree)

Can somebody help me with converting these measurements with a plot to something that would make sense for container gardening? What exactly is the 'formula' for making the calculations for the conversion of row spacing in a plot to something for containers?

Below is what I'm referring to:

Comments (2)