Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elevated Garden Ideas

Posted by nooz812 Southern CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 18:21

I would like to build an elevated (raised) garden atop a wooden, slatted patio table that is 5 ft x 3 ft. None of the raised garden kits I have seen online are the right size so I will likely be building my own. I will be planting herbs and veggies that can grow in shallow soil so I'm thinking probably 6" deep. Any advice on building this thing and what to line the bottom with so that the soil doesn't slip between the slats (1.5" slats)? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elevated Garden Ideas

Hey nooz812 ,
I have used those 6 to 8 inch deep black plastic crates that bulbs are shipped in to make a table top garden.Usually line them with newspaper
The nicest thing is that it becomes modular, you can add and remove crates as needed.
Perhaps even better cover the table with sub irrigated containers like earthboxes or home made versions of them.
Best of luck .

o
RE: Elevated Garden Ideas

Weed barrier fabric will work to keep the soil in. Geo-textile fabric is really the proper item, but it's hard to find in small pieces and the weed barrier stuff is similar. Make sure you use the kind that feels like cloth and not like plastic. You could also use newspaper, several sheets thick with many small holes covered with stones. This article about vegetable gardening planters has some more information that might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here