Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Bougainvillea (Pics)

puglvr1
16 years ago

Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my potted bougainvillea. I keep it outside almost all year. Last year it had very few flowers and the small one had almost none. I think between Al's potting mix, Thanks Al (tapla) and regular use of diluted Schultz bloom plus fertilizer, I am going to assume is the reason for my success that I am having. I brought it in tonight since we are suppose to be in the 30's ( that's cold for florida), LOL...Appreciate your help Al as always...

{{gwi:6974}}

{{gwi:6975}}

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

The potted Bougainvillea is a good choice for those of us just beyond the frost proof zone. I lost mine this winter from an early frost, but will get another when they are available. Nice pictures of well grown plants. Al

• citrusnut
    16 years ago

Wow, they sure are beautiful! How old are they? Now I want one. I just have to learn how to prune stuff.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks calistoga and citrusnut, appreciate the kind words.

It's not very old at all, the bigger one I got from my daughter (home depot) almost a year ago. I repotted it and trimmed the leaves and the roots (a little) so it would fit in the clay bowl. The bonsai style one I've had a little over a year (took a small branch,had a little bit of roots already from my dwarf Bougain.)that I had in the ground and put it in a bosai pot. I am not good at pruning either,LOL...Its more or less trial and error, mostly error, :o). Try it, I'm sure you will love this plant.

• solstice98
    16 years ago

If you are going to try one, remember not to overwater it. With regular watering, they tend not to bloom. In Florida we are lucky and able to grow them in the ground, but I had to dig mine up and put them in large containers to keep them dry enough! I cut out the bottom of the tubs so they could drop a few roots down, but having them in the container keeps the bulk of the roots pretty dry.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Ohhh Nancy - I don't know HOW I missed your post. I'm really sorry I didn't acknowledge your thoughtfulness in mentioning me/the soil. I think you KNOW that if I'd have seen the post I'd have responded. I saw it when you linked to it in another post. Thank you very much, and what a good job you're doing! I hope you have as much success with the rest of your plants as you are having with the bougies!

Prune off that top root as soon as it's done blooming!! (with feigned sternness) ;o) It draws your eye and robs attention from the rest of the planting.

Take good care - and it's really nice to see you on the container forum. ;o)

YPA

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're very welcome Al. You deserve the recognition...

Thanks for the compliments and I will prune those roots (I'm assuming) you are referring to the three small ones poking out on top? Thanks for the advise as always. The rest of the plants are all doing well in your mix.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

Yes, all three would be best, but especially that one that looks like it emerges from the stem about an inch or so above the soil. I can't see it ever being a welcome part of the composition, so it should go.

Oh yeah - I know it's off topic, but it's your thread ... my best to Max, please? ;o)

Take care - good luck. We could use some of that FL weather up here. We still have snow on the ground in many places!

YPA

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again Al, and I will pass it on to Max!!

I feel your pain , Snow, )o: we have had some pretty warm, almost summer type weather here. It rained off and on most of the day yesterday. Today is suppose to be 76 degrees. I wish I could "share" our Florida weather with you.

Take care,