Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyxz123

Garden Planter Question

amyxz123
12 years ago

Hi,

I am going to buy a long planter(about 14ft) to put it in my backyard, what vegetables or flowers can I plant? planter dimension: 14'L*14"W*12.5"H. I perfer long planter but will there be many problems on the maintanence? The two ends of planter are metal, but the body is composite, my husband said it's too strange and ugly, so I wonder your thoughts about it?

Our house decoration is going to be finished,planter is the last one.So it's urgent.Thanks!

Amy

Comments (4)

• gunnersm8
    12 years ago

take a look at the square foot gardening forum. not too much you CANT plant in that space.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Be sure your container has good drainage. If it is in contact with the ground so that moisture wicks, it is similar to a squarefoot garden or raised bed, and you can use heavier mixes. But if it is not in contact with the ground, you will need a lighter mix that doesn't compact and hold perched water.

• amyxz123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by Ohiofem 5b/6a OH (My Page) on Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 16:36
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Moisture wicks? But my planter bottom is on the ground of frontyard or backyard, very close.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

I meant to say that if your planter has several drainage holes in contact with bare ground, as opposed to a deck or concrete surface, the ground can wick away excess moisture from something like heavy rain. In that case you could grow a lot of different vegetables or flowers.