Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
container gardening for flowers

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:09

Is there such a forum? I can't find one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: container gardening for flowers

Not for flowers only. There are posts here, some in the annuals forum, cottage gardens, and balcony gardening forum. There are also potentially posts within forums dedicated to certain plants-- like roses.

o

Many on this forum believe there is not that much difference the pottiing mixes and fertilizer you use between flowering plants and other plants. I use the 5-1-1 for all my annuals, including vegetables and flowers. I use what is called the gritty mix for all my perennials, including more than a dozen different flowering plants, from clivias and amarillyses to goldfish plants and birds of paradise. I also use the same fertilizer on all of them. Check out the topic near yours on this forum about Tapla's Container Mix and the discussion of fertilizing in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing containerized plants

o

I guess what I"m mainly interested in is combinations of flowering plants to put in containers. Invaribly I get something in a pot that isn't compatible with the others.

o

Yeah, that's why I said poke around. The search is your best bet. There are lots of posts here and there-- and feel free to start your own!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 13:18

Flowergirl - do you have specific questions?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Happy 4th

Al

o

Al, I'VE got questions! What are you using for potting media? In the second to the last picture, on the bench with the bird house, what type of Coleus is spilling out of that pot? And why don't my pots look like yours?

o

Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 18:08

I make my own soils. For all my mixed containers & veggies, I use what other's have dubbed the 5:1:1 mix, which consists of 5 parts of pine bark in an appropriate size, and 1 part each of sphagnum peat & coarse perlite. I had trouble getting many plants to come even close to reaching their potential in pots until I gained an understanding of how important soil choice can be to how much we get back for our efforts, and how to put together soils that worked for me instead of against me.

If you're not happy with how your plants look, I'm sure you can improve things with a little effort. The best place to start is by investing the minimal effort it takes to understand the relationship between how soils are made/what they're made from, and how/why they retain varying amounts of water. That's commonly the most significant obstacle we face as container gardeners; and simply recognizing that obstacle even exists is a significant step in the right direction.

"Click Me" to learn more about soils.

The Coleus is "Trailing Dark Heart".

Al

o

Thanks, Al. I'll be making my very first batch of 5:1:1 this coming weekend, and then re-potting everything that's now in "Generic Store-Bought Potting Soil." (Which is eerily similar to "Top Soil" and "Garden Soil" as far as consistency IMO.
Your containers are just heavenly. I'll be mimicking some of them... or trying to.
Another question: In the fourth picture (hanging basket under a tree with a purple Petunia), what is the red-flowered trailing plant?

o

Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 16:44

Thanks for the kind words. The begonia is boliviensis 'Bonfire'. Good luck to you!

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here