Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tecnico

Dr. Tecnico's Peace Lily experiment

tecnico
12 years ago

hello guys and gals : ) , just posting this starting post to get some concepts clear when the experiment start :)

1- get all the dirt-soil out of the roots , without damaging the roots

2- if the roots have rot roots , cut them

( should i cut them upon to the point where the roots are white or look healthy cutting out the damaged ones right ? )

3. divide the plant in two ???? : O

thats what i think Al recomended if im not wrong , but is there are any specific benefit for it besides that been apart the plant can feed better than competing with the other pups for the food ? and just wandering if i divide it , having it if so , less roots would'nt that affect on getting her feet on the medium in a more dificult way ?

4. have read that the mix should be pre-moisted before its planted so the roots can get on its way feeding fast , but does this apply to the gritty mix or the 5-1-1 , or both ?

5 . after planting should be left the PL in shade or partly bright window right ?

6. the plant should be feed with the fertilzer diluated

how much drops, tea spoon, per galon of water ?

and by the way should i first wet with water the plant ( through the medium ) and then when its throughly wet then feed it with fertilizer about how much 1 or 2 or 3 cups of diluated fertilizer ??????

7 . should i use the grity or the 5-1-1 for the PL ?

advantages one over the other in specific to the PL

so will be waiting your comments and advices : ) , thought of making clear some points and saying something about what happened in the last post " is X soil a good soil "

but that is the past , and the point is and was to make my PL the best looking one around : ) , of course with your help : )

Comments (53)

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Al , for the procedure gonna start right now "operating" the PL , Josh , hope you are ok and well , by the way your PL looks so good : ) , is that in gritty mix or in 5-1-1 mix ?

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok was searching for the extra pots i have and it says 7 inch pot but do you think smaller pots than this would be better cause upon comparing side by side with the actual one well they seem basicly the same maybe a inch smaller than the white one , or well what do you think ????

as yo can see these pots have few draining holes , around how many more should i have on the bottom of pots to have better drainage how many holes do you regularly have on the pots ?

and as you can see also this kind of pots have very smallll feet ( thats what i call to those small rims they have on the edge to lift up the pot so it can drain better ) , would you recomend lifting up the pots a bit higher so more air can circulate at the bottom so it has more air for the roots ???? if so how much higher 1 inch , 2 inch ??????

{{gwi:7192}}

{{gwi:7194}}

{{gwi:7196}}

{{gwi:7197}}

{{gwi:7198}}

{{gwi:7199}}

{{gwi:7200}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Any of those pot sizes will work.
    Make sure they have drainage holes. Doesn't matter if there is one hole or twenty holes.
    My plant is in a pot with one drainage hole in the middle.

Oh, my plant is in 5-1-1. Easier to make and cheaper, since I need to re-pot often.

Josh

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok hey josh thanks :) and by the way how much is the life of the 5-1-1 in terms of of usable life for the plant ? read somewhere it was around 1 year and that the gritty could be around 5 years , and by the way im planning taking one of the PL for my office where she would be in air conditioner and the other one leave at home , so which one of the mixes could be better for being in the office with air conditioner the 5-1-1 mix or the gritty mix ???????

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok another question when i put the medium ( 511 or gritty ) do i have to fill up the pot or only half of it with the medium ?????

12 years ago

The 5-1-1 will last longer than you should wait to re-pot.
    My mix lasts 2 - 3 years. But re-potting should be done more often than that.

I fill the pot half-way, and make a mound in the middle. Then I test the root-ball on top of the
    mound to make sure that the plant is sitting at the right height in the pot. Then I start filling
    around the sides, making sure to fill ALL the spaces between the roots. Then I water thoroughly.

I just re-potted a Buckeye tree and I'll share a series of pictures when I have them uploaded.

Josh

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok when you say : make sure the plant is sitting at he right height in the pot " does that mean the plants have to be at a specific height when planted in pots ???? : ( , soory for my question but would like to understand that , and by the way the question regarding which mix would be better to have in air conditioned rooms: the 511 or the gritty mix ?????

12 years ago

No idea about which mix to use in air-conditioned rooms ;-)
    I think you'll have to tell us.

When planting, I like the root-crown to be just a little below the top edge of the pot.
    And I fill my pots so there is about 1/2 - 1 inch of room left in the pot on top.

Josh

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

You are going to bare-root the plants before repotting?

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok josh got the idea for the height of plant when planting , hello AL : ) , well uppon what you told me bare rooting was the correct way to do it , right ? and as so i plan to do it or should i make some changes ???? : /

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well just wandering if the gritty retains less water than the 511 than maybe the gritty should be used in the air conditioner office , cause like in the one i have now the basic soil it retained much water and it even passed 3 weeks without watering and still the soil felt wet to medium wet, maybe it was the air conditioner made it stay more wet and therefore that's way it got the soil the way it got, so upon that point of view and interpretation , the gritty could be the most recomended for the office ???? would like your opinions and thoughts about it : )

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok got 2 new 6 inch pots that just seem fine in size for the emerging 2 plants : ) , but would like to know if you know of any where i can see photos on how to divide the PL : ( , thought of seeing that somewhere dont remember if it was here or another site : ( , but do you have any photos or know where to see the procedure ???? have read its about dividing the pups , but would like to see any pictures-procedure just to be sure im doing it right : ( , thanks in adavanced

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok , this might be a simple question : ( , but would like to know if plants , should be planted in the morning , ????? or can they be planted in the evening : / ? cause would like the planting of the PL to be in the best schedule for her , so is it best to plant in the morning or during the day than rather afternoon or evening ????

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The operation was successful : ) 4 plants emerged: 2 in 511 mix one in gritty mix and the other one was gonnas put it in "X" branded potting soil, :P was gonna put the name, but for those that remember my first post know which brand im talking about , so will post the pic later : )

12 years ago

Excellent! I look forward to the pics!

Josh

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hi Tecnico!

Pretty work!!

I am looking forward to seeing your pictures as well!!!

Sounds like you will have some beautiful Plants for many different areas..

Hope you are having a good time with your Mixes!!!

You are doing a great job! : )

Take care,

Laura

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh , Laura thanks : ) , and still uploading pics to photobucket , but in the mean time would like to know i gave the plants yesterday after planting and touched the soil today and felt somewhat moist but added a little water just in case, if im not wrong , think read somewhere in the posts that at initial days would have to water frequently ; does that mean every day or 1 day yes and the other no, in other words leaving one day in between ???? or what method of watering should i use the first week , or second week , etc, etc ?????

they do seem a bit droopy : ( , but thats because of the transplanting process right : ( ????, well take care and hope you keep on watching my experiment , to have your advices and tips , so i can do it right : ).

12 years ago

Keep the soil moist right now, and don't put them in strong, hot sunlight for several days at least.

Josh

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok josh , when you say moist is to chek it every day and as soon i feel its dry or semi dry water it again ? and following a rutine of one day yes and one day no of watering ?

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, here are the pics : )

roots after cleaning

{{gwi:7201}}

another view of clean roots

{{gwi:7202}}

{{gwi:7203}}

close up of roots

{{gwi:7204}}

{{gwi:7205}}

after dividing 3 sets emerged

{{gwi:7206}}

this one is gonna go in gritty mix

{{gwi:7207}}

this 2 in 511 mix

{{gwi:7208}}

this little dudes ; ) , had some plans for them

{{gwi:7209}}

ok here they are transplanted , the one in middle is the grity mix and the other 2 the 511

{{gwi:7177}}

this th ebig one as i call it in 511 mix

{{gwi:7211}}

this is the other in 511 mix

{{gwi:7213}}

and this is the little gritty mix one

{{gwi:7215}}

ok found a pup around at the garden when cleaning maybe tried to escape the experiment, lol , but having the "X" soil around and not using it , said maybe lets include it in the experiment ; ) , open the bag and potted in the pot , planted the pup and gave it some water and look what happened

{{gwi:7217}}

{{gwi:7219}}

the water did not drain eventhough it was the same pot i was using for the mother plant , it has many drain holes so the water could drain , if the soil wasn't so absorbent : (

so took the plant out and cheked the soil

{{gwi:7221}}

look at how much water

{{gwi:7222}}

{{gwi:7223}}

so left it to set a while

{{gwi:7224}}

and after around 25 min the water was still there : (

{{gwi:7225}}

{{gwi:7226}}

so took out the pup and put it in water , could she be a candidate for hidrophonics : )?????

{{gwi:7227}}

and just as was cleaning around found this little gals under the "plastic work table "

and well planted them in a bit of "X" soil in a plastic cup with drain holes , to see how they do in this soil

{{gwi:7228}}

{{gwi:7229}}

here are the gals after process

{{gwi:7230}}

{{gwi:7231}}

will post how they look today later , would like your coments and advices or tips ; )

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok here they are today this 2 look like they ok right : ) ?

{{gwi:7232}}

but this is the big one can you evaluate her pleaseee : (

{{gwi:7233}}

{{gwi:7234}}

{{gwi:7236}}

{{gwi:7239}}

the medium feels kind of moist , but should i water it more ????? or leave at is to see if she cheers up ????

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

here is the one in water " hidro phonics candidate ???? "

{{gwi:7241}}

{{gwi:7243}}

{{gwi:7245}}

{{gwi:7248}}

those black things at bottom of cup are a little of organic fertlizer some one gave me a time ago and added it to the water , sould i use that or 1 drop of foilage pro to the water ? or does nay one have an idea how to grow peace lily in water ????

thus this been an peace lily experiment all options are being tested : )

so coments, advices, tips and suggestions are apreciated :) ,

by the way are those roots ok looking : / ????

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

anyone around : ( , should i water my PL again today it looks so sad and droppy :( , seems as it needs water , but the mix feels sort of moist , should i feed her more water anyway ????? pleaseeee advice me

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    12 years ago

That looks like there are too few roots to support that many leaves. I would would remove all leaving say 2 or 3 of the leaves. Keep it in shade. If it is too dry then mist it several times a day. Watering the soil will not help much if it is already moist. Do not fertilize, it is going to stress it out more. Good luck. PL's should recover.

One thing is that do not pay too much attention to the plant now because later they will have attention deficit disorder. Just kidding.

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

: O remove all leaves and only leaving 2 or3 ???? : O , wont that put more stress on the PL ??? : (

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    12 years ago

If it is drooping like that then it is because it is not able to get as much water as it needs. The soil may have water but there are not enough roots to pump as much for those leaves. I would chop most of the leaves if it was me. Anyone else care to chime in? Especially, the ones that are drooping a lot. Usually, there will be some near the center core that will do just fine and not droop as much. Leave those intact.

If you feel that is too drastic, then chop some of them and create a small humidity dome for the plants. Create a small structure with wires or thin bamboo canes with a clear plastic on top such that the plastic does not touch the leaves. The leaves should perk up in a few hours. Leave the dome on for a few weeks till the plant can support itself.

The problem you are facing is really an imbalance between amount of roots and amount of leaves. That many leaves needs more roots to supply its required amount of water. Reduce the leaves and the plant will have more chance to fight back and get established in its new medium.

12 years ago

Leave it alone, Doctor!

The roots are "offline" after a re-potting, but they will come back "online" in a few days.
    Like I said earlier, make sure that it is not in hot direct sunlight. Protect it in shade.

Also, that "other" soil in that pot....that is awful! Throw that soil out, my friend ;-)

Josh

12 years ago

Hi Conrado!!

I just recieved your email.. Thank you!!! : )

Your Plants look like they just went through a "repot" looks normal to me. Remember that you have done alot to these little plants and they need time to adjust to everything that they went through. Think about all that you did to these guys? I would tend to be a little "tired" too after all of that work!!! : )

Give them some time to adjust and like Josh mentioned, let them acclimate to the surroundings outside and keep them from direct light. Set them somewhere in the shade and give them some time to adjust from the trama that they just had with the repot. All looks good!!! Remember, that they take time.. we want to see immediate results, but they dont want to give that to us... they will when they are ready. Just be patient and they will come around!! If the soil in the 5-1-1 is moist than its fine. The Gritty Mix may need more water when needed. Remember to use a wooden skewer if you are unsure of the need to water.

That other "mud" reminds me of something that a "day spa" would sell... LOL!!!

I have learned with my experience growing Plumeria that "Patience " is the key to growing our beautiful plants and trees. We all want to see instant results, but they dont want to deliver for us as fast as we want them to! When i root a cutting, it can take 6-8 weeks sometimes longer. That is very hard to wait that long to see results, but i know if i want to successful, i have to be patient.

Those plants look wonderful!!! Give them some time and they will perk back up for you!!!

Wonderful job!!! : )

Take care,

Laura

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok as an update of the 3 plants the small in gritty mix doing great it even seems to have a new leave coming out : ) , the other small in 511 mix is good looking also and since sunday i havent water it and the "soil" is still moist : ) , but the other one the one is a bit bigger from sunday it is still sad looking : ( , please check this one and give me your comments , by the way none of them i have given them fertilizer , they are on water diet only , lol : P , but for this big could i give it some fertlizer or leave it alone until it cheers up ????

{{gwi:7250}}

{{gwi:7251}}

Al, Josh, Laura, Mike, what you think ? : ( do the ones you have looked like this after the repot and for around how much time it took to cheer up : ( ?

12 years ago

Hey!
    Well, I can't remember how long mine looked wilted after I re-potted.
    Is there any chance that you can take clearer pictures?

Have your plants been in the sun at all?

Josh

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello Josh : ) , well my plants have been inside the house in shade and when its cloudy i have put the light in the room where she is , cuz thought being outside in the sun or half sun in that droopy look would , burn herself or wilt more : ( , but the other 2 have been inside and look very good

12 years ago

Hi Conrado,

Just checking in to see if you placed your trees outside under some sort of protection so they get some natural sunlight. Remember to protect them from direct light. They do need to see some natural light and being down in beautiful PR, you have some wonderful conditions for bringing these gals back. It will take time, but i wanted you to know that we are still thinking of you!!!

Take care,

Laura

12 years ago

Cut all but 1 or 2 of the droopy leaves off & just wait. Don't panic. You didn't have much of a root system to support all that foliage, and with all the handling of the bare-rooted plants you did, I'm wondering if some of the roots you DID have didn't succumb to drying out. You haven't yet fertilized - right?

Al

• Alshain
    12 years ago

Tecnico,

How are they looking now? I'm very curious to see the results as I am about to em-bark (pun most definitely intended) on the same project. I do hope they are starting to perk up.

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello to all : ) , soory for the delay in update , but was waiting about a week to take som pics and upadate the data but uppon what you said Al, im planning to take out the plant from the "soil" so you can see how many and how are the roots conditions so you can see and uppon what you see tell me to go with your recomendation and as also tropicofcancer , recomended : ( didn't do it before cuz thought would damage the plant , but uppon from what you see will be waiting recomendation on to cuting all leaves but only leaving 2 or 3 on the plant and no i have not fertlized them yet , they are only on water.

thanks Alshain for the interest : ) , i do have to say the small ones the one in 511 mix and the other one in gritty mix are looking good , thus the reason could be they have fewer leaves and maybe they had more roots than the big one , but will post updated pictures as soon take them : )

but Al , do you think i should take out the plant to check the roots????? will be waiting your answer to do it or not , thanks : )

12 years ago

No - don't uproot the plant. Keep the soil damp & wait. Your plant will start to send up new shoots & you will be able to remove ALL the spoiled foliage. Uprooting would constitute a considerable setback. Lol - I forgot to send a good measure of patience with the soil!

What plants are doing well & what plants are declining? I'm a little confused on that point, T.

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok thanks Al for the data , was gonna take it out to see the roots : P , maybe another byopsi was on its way , lol , but ok will not do it : ) , ok the plants ar doing well are the two other ones this ones
    from left to right the first one is in 511 mix , the second one is in gritty mix and the last one on the right is the big one the one that looks a bit sad : ( , so ok uppon what you said now i should not unpot it ok ; but should i do as you recomended of cutting out all the leaves and just leaving some ( at now it has around 12 to 14 big leaves ) how much should i take off ????

trying to take pics but cant find the data cable to transfer to pc , but will wait your coment to cut or not the leaves and how many , : )

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:7177}}

12 years ago

WAIT! PLEASE tell me you're not weeping for the plant on the right (in the photo)? ;-) What I told you was based on the pictures you posted on 2/23 - the ones of the collapsing plant. If you're worried about the one on the right, don't be. Go sit on your hands or find something else to do besides worry about your plants. They'll be fine. ;-) What's the one on the right in (soil)?

If you have 3 plants & they all look like what I see in the link to the picture in the post above, then go ahead & fertilize at half strength & don't cut anything off.

Sucha worrier you are. My goodness. {{gwi:2595}} Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well Al those were pictures of reference only so you could see the one i was referring to , but now found the cable and here are the new updated photos

this are the 3 amigas : ) , took them out for a rain shower : )

{{gwi:7252}}

this is the big one as called, the sad one, its in 511 mix :

{{gwi:7253}}

{{gwi:7254}}

{{gwi:7256}}

{{gwi:7257}}

{{gwi:7258}}

{{gwi:7259}}

these are the other 2 the smaller one is in gritty mix and the other in 511 mix

511 mix

{{gwi:7261}}

gritty mix

{{gwi:7263}}

{{gwi:7265}}

{{gwi:7267}}

these 2 also have some dark edges on leaves as the sad one , could they be receiving much water ?

so comments please : )
    so please check these updated pictures and let me know what you think and recomend :(

12 years ago

I think you expect too much after all the plants went through - the trauma from the difficulty you had bare-rooting and all the exposure to air after they were bare-rooted. The foliage you had was already looking bad, and that's not going to change. Your plants look fine for what they went through. If you want them to perk up, you can cut all the leaves in half against the veins. This reduces the amount of mass the roots have to supply with water.

The plants probably look better in the late evening and morning than during the day?

Keep the soil DAMP, not wet, and BE PATIENT! The plant you're looking for, you can't even see yet because it hasn't started to grow. The leaves you can see now are TEMPORARY. As the plant starts to push new growth, you'll start eliminating the old ugly growth by snipping it off - until you have a plant with pristine foliage. You're frustrating yourself by expecting your plants to react to your expectations. You need to relax and put yourself on plant time. DAMP, not wet.

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok Al , thanks for saying they look ok that is good to know : ) , yes they do look better at morning and at pm , so will leave them as you say to their time so will keep them on water until as you say they start to grow and look like they should

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Actually, after everything you did, they look darn good to me. Nice and green and a great healthy looking center where your new growth will emerge!

That is exactly what happened to mine and I didn't have the great weather of P.R on my side:-)

Believe in yourself, trust in Al, and be patient. I can't wait to see them in a month. By the way, I miss my home in Toita, just outside of Cayey!

Hello everyone else.

Mike

12 years ago

..... and a half dose of the 9-3-6 is a good idea at this point.

Best luck.

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hello Mike good to see you around : ) , thanks for the compliments on the PL's and as you say also too will be waiting to see them flourish : ) , so Al you said i can start on half dose of the 9-3-6 fertilizer now : ) , every time i water them or fertilze every 7 days or 10 , or around how much time and how much ? in other words , when i water them , after i water is that i fertilize , or fertilze first and then water ???? and around how much of fertlizer 1 cup of fertilzer or 4 oz , per plant ???? : )

12 years ago

Use 8 drops/L of the 9-3-6 I sent every time you water (mix into the water you water with). Only water when plants need it, and don't worry about watering first and then fertilizing. The dose is so low it won't matter, even if the plant was dry.

Al

• tecnico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

8 drops per liter ? or per gallon ? : /

12 years ago

I thought I was making it easy on you, thinking you are on the metric system .... no? It's per liter.

Al

12 years ago

Doctor, do you have an update on the patients?

I'm hoping that they've begun to turn around!

Josh

• Vance Evans
    11 years ago

I wonder how the PLs are looking now.

• fred
    10 years ago

Yeah me to. Such an intense operation and after care. It does'nt decerve to end so abruptly.Please bring us up to date.....!