Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Grapes in Containers

Posted by ehsteve VA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 19:44

I have a rooftop terrace and wanted to know the feasibility of growing a productive grape vine.

The terrace faces south and has full sun from dawn to dusk. There is no shade on the growing area but I would be able to provide shade to the containers to stop the roots overheating (I understand the roots should be kept cooler).

Will a vine in a container under this scenario bear fruit or is it a venture doomed to failure?

I live in northern Virginia - would freezing temperatures in winter kill the plants roots or should they be fine?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Grapes in Containers

Hello ehsteve,
First, I would like to say that this is possible, you can get quality fruit off of potted grape vines. You control what they are planted in, so you can be sure to get them into soil that is ideal for grapes. I have read some articles on this previously, so I know it can be done. I will be planting grapes in containers as well, as I want to grow vinifera type (which are not hardy here). Sunlight is a good thing, it sounds as if you will have plenty, just remember to water and feed regularly. The roots should be kept cooler, yes. Overheating them can kill the plant or cause undue stress, which is not good either. Pruned, watered and fed correctly, it will bear fruit. Though I am not sure of your zone, I can guess it is probably at minimum 6 or 7. For most American grape varieties, they should be fine in a large pot, however with less hardy vines such as vinifera ( I am not sure what kind of grape you are planning on planting) you may need to provide extra insulation to the roots and possibly a cold frame for the vine its self, though this is all completely dependent on cultivar. I will attach the URLs of some previous posts that may prove more helpful, though feel free to message me at any time !
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg061723208285.html

I hope that this helps you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing grape vines in containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here