Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container fruiting plants for Southern California

Posted by Moosetrackz 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 12 at 19:49

Hello!
I also posted in the Orchard forum but it is also a container planting question.

I'm new to growing fruiting trees. I recently got a kumquat tree (nagami I think). I was told it would do ok in my small west facing yard. It gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun and seems to be doing fine and is fruiting.

I was wondering if their are any other fruiting trees or berries that do well with my western exposure situation. I live in southern California in LA county so its pretty warm here. It'll be near 80 everyday soon and was 103 a few days last year. The tree will have to be in a container because I cant plant anything in the ground in my small apartment yard.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container fruiting plants for Southern California

The Nagami kumquat is a good container plant. I hope so! I bought one last month. They grow actively in high heat, but need nighttime chill for good color and flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

o

• Posted by cebury 9, Central CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 14:51

many fruit trees will do well containers on the west facing side, but will also need protection from the hot summer sun with shade cloth for many years until a fuller canopy develops. the pot itself should always be shaded in our summer climate to avoid overheating roots. you'll need a larger sized container if you expect to hold a decent Amt of fruit. I've nectarines , citrus, cherry and blueberries both standard & dwarf stock in containers.

You could add more citrus, like any of the 4winds 'dwarf' trees (most retail ones are on trifoliate). Or true dwarf peach, nectarines, or apricot on from Dave Wilson nursery (nectazee, honey babe, pixiecot, etc). you could buy new 'standard' full size trees & they tend to dwarf naturally dropped in the container, but the trees listed above are a little easier when you're starting out.

o

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to a plant sale this weekend. Ill have to look out for a dwarf cherry tree, that sounds awesome. Or maybe an apricot.

The seller's ad says they have gooseberry bushes. I would love to grow some. Do any of you have experience growing them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here