Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
et14_gw

tendergreen bunching onions in container

et14
13 years ago

hey everybody

DW bought me a pack of tendergreen bunching onion seed. Can I start the seed in cellpack and then plant in container?

What do you think?

Thanks

et14

Comments (5)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Sure - you can do it that way; or, if you're careful about a few things, you can start them directly in the container(s) you plan to grow in and just thin them as required. If you want to start them in the larger container, we can talk about it .... if you haven't already moved forward. Strange, that no one jumped to answer your post. Can I apologize for that, please?

Oh - and if you're new to the container forum ...... welcome!

Al

• et14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al

I started 5 jiffy pot pellets with a couple of seeds ea just to try. They're up about inch and a half. But I can start more in larger containers. your suggestions?

13 years ago

Hey! Good luck! ;o) I was just going to suggest you sow them on top of a larger container (a flat?), as long as the soil drains very freely, by mixing the seeds with a little sand & sprinkling the mix lightly over the top of a damp (not wet) soil, then thinning as required. If you DO decide to do that, a wick would be a good idea to help drain shallow containers, like flats. Stick the wick in a corner & tip the flat after watering so the wick is dangling from the lowest point. That will help drain excess water in only a few minutes.

Al

13 years ago

Hey! Good luck! ;o) I was just going to suggest you sow them on top of a larger container (a flat?), as long as the soil drains very freely, by mixing the seeds with a little sand & sprinkling the mix lightly over the top of a damp (not wet) soil, then thinning as required. If you DO decide to do that, a wick would be a good idea to help drain shallow containers, like flats. Stick the wick in a corner & tip the flat after watering so the wick is dangling from the lowest point. That will help drain excess water in only a few minutes.

Al

• et14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Al

I have been playing with wicks. I have a roll of drain pipe sock (4 inch black slotted pvc pipe). I tested a small piece with a 2 liter soda bottle. I drilled 2 small holes in the bottle cap, filled the bottle with water and turned it upside down on the sock. The sock was as long as the bottle. I propped the sock up so that it was high as the bottle. The sock "wicked" very well.

My second test was with a soda bottle cut in half. I pulled a piece of the sock through the bottle cap opening and tied a knot. I turned the top upside down into the bottom half and filled with potting mix. I watered the mix amd I have a sweet potato slip planted. So far so good. The mix is moist.

The onions are doing well in the jiffy pellet, I just bottom water for now. I will be moving some to a container and some to a raised bed.

Now that I started the onion seed, wife bought some shallot and onion bulb. Oh well, more to play with.