Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marc555

Peat-based mix in smaller containers?

marc5
11 years ago

I am new to these concepts here and working hard to catch up. I now understand that peat-based mixes in general are not conducive to good plant growth. However, I am wondering if they might ever be applicable in the case of small or heavily aerated containers. Last year I started pawpaw seeds in small RootMaker propagation containers (air pruning). These are 25 cubic inch cells, approx 3"x3"x3", with holes throughout the sides and bottom. RootMaker suggests a mix of 40/60 peat/perlite, which I used. For many reasons, I didn't get the growth I had hoped for. I think much of it was water management. It seems that for containers this small size, it's not easy to keep up on the watering. They dry easily, and then the peat is difficult to re-wet. This season I plan to have automatic misters take care of the watering duties, misting several times a day if necessary.

Does anyone here have experience with these or similar containers? I am wondering if 5:1:1 might be an improvement on the recommended mix. Jason, I think you have done some prop work with Gritty or 5:1:1, correct? How would it change my water management? For containers this small, does it make sense to work with a peat/perlite mix?

Thanks for all ideas,
Marc

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio