Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al please help.

Posted by cetompkins 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 21:32

Al, I have been searching your threads on your potting mixes and have a question about which one of your mixes to use in my Global buckets,I will be growing in 5 gallon SWC (known as Global buckets) what mix of yours would be best to use?

I am new to the container gardening but last year I tried the Global bucket out and used a commercial grow medium and it did well but I am curious in the mixes you have out there that may be better.

I am sorry if you have covered this before but 6000 posts by your knowlage is hard to sort through.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al please help.

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 21:48

Hi, CE. A number of people have good luck with and like the wicking ability of something like

5 pine bark
3-4 peat or bagged potting soil
1-2 perlite
lime

How you combine the ingredients (the %s) depends on the size distribution of the bark particles. How much lime depends on whether you use peat or potting soil. If you decide what you want to do, you can always come back for some specific guidance.

Al

o
RE: Al please help.

Thank you for the quick responce, I have access to bagged Sphagnum peat and or potting soil, they are both availbe in my area. So I guess from a noob starting point which is best for my situation?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here