Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjs496

Soil Conditioner = $0.25 / cf @Lowe's

bjs496
16 years ago

Hi All,

I just came back from Lowe's where I went to buy a bag of mulch to finish potting my trees. They had their soil conditioner (Earth Finest brand) on clearance for 50¢ per 2 cf bag. They are normally $3.22/bag in Houston. The person working in the garden center said they were pallets left over from last year and they had to move it out to make space for the new shipment of soil conditioner. I asked him if they were getting a different brand. He said it was going to be the same stuff... that makes sense, right? If you use this stuff, it is worth calling the Lowe's in your are to see if they are clearing it out as well.

I picked up 10 bags (what would fit in my car) tonight for $5.41 with tax. I'll go back tomorrow for another 20 bags. Unfortunately I only needed one bag since I only have a couple of trees left to repot this year. I'll have to wait until December to use these.

~james

Comments (8)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    16 years ago

... and I thought I got a deal when I found some great stuff at season's end at HD @ $2 per 2 cu ft bag! Strong work, James! You should be set for awhile, eh? I have a nice stash in my garage, too. ;o)

Al

• filix
    16 years ago

Is that the same as turface? filix

16 years ago

Nope - pine bark fines, Filix.

Al

• sissysimone
    16 years ago

Hi,

Sorry for asking....But what do they called soil conditioner on the bag at Lowes? What is it labeld as? I have called 7 lowes stores in my area and they said they never heard of it. Is it called something else. I would like to get some, but seems to me no one has ever heard of it. Are you maybe referring to bark mulch? Because that they have plenty of?
    Since I am going to be making a big batch of soil soon, letting me know ASAP would be so appreciated...Thanks :-)

16 years ago

Pine bark is often sold as 'soil conditioner', and when it is called 'soil conditioner', it's often fine enough to be suitable in container soils. You want a fine product, not the bark that is in big 1/4" + pieces. You want 1/4" and smaller pieces for container soils.

Pine bark is sold under many names. Look for the bag to say bark mulch, pine bark, pine bark fines, composted pine bark, fine pine bark, premium landscape mulch, soil conditioner - you get the picture ... If it is pine or fir bark, and it is as fine as what you see in the picture, then it will work very well.
    {{gwi:2389}}
    Al

• sissysimone
    16 years ago

So sorry to ask you again,
    And thanks Al for your patience.

Are you saying that the bark mulch that you would normally cover your bedded plants with , to keep the ground under neath cool and damp, such as I do in the spring around my bushes is what I am looking for? I am confused. Because I thought that a majority of those bagged mulches, such a pine bark mulch, or hemolcok mulch and red mulch, and so on, the ones that I can even buy by the yard every spring, are not decomposed enough to use in pots?
    That is what I see being sold at Lowes and Home depot. The bags you bought, or what filix bought, what exactly does it say on the bag?
    Thnaks alot. I have seen the kind of bark you talk about in the picture you sent being sold in small bags for bonsia and the likes, but not as huge bags at these store nor by the yard.
    Thankyou,
    Sissy

16 years ago

The bark I was referring to has a bag that reads: "Golden Trophy Premium Landscape Pine Bark Mulch". The picture above shows bark from 4 different sources. At the top is fine fir bark for orchids. 2 of the other 3 came from big box stores (Meijer, Home Depot), and the third came from a nursery near me. They all say something different on the bag, and I offered the picture to illustrate that there are multiple sources for bark in appropriate size. The soil (in the middle) is comprised mainly of
    5 parts uncomposted bark
    1 part peat
    1 part perlite
    and it's what I grow any veggies I might grow, and all the pretty stuff (floral display containers for the garden) in. For long term plantings, I use a different soil with a 2/3 mineral component to insure long term structural stability.

The chunky size of the bark and it's composition (very difficult for micro-organisms to break down) help to insure minimal N immobilization. The fact that the soil drains freely also allows you to fertilize much more frequently than you can in a heavy soil, also helping to negate any N immobilizing effect.

Al

• galcho
    16 years ago

What is mineral component? and what 2/3 means; Is it 1 part of mix in your recipe and 2 parts of mineral component or i am wrong? Sorry, i am novice here.