Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calbayarea

Potato Growing Bags

calbayarea
10 years ago

I decided to grow some potatoes on a cemented area that otherwise is not utilized at all. Bags seemed like they would work well so I'm giving it a shot. I made all the bags shown and just seeded them a few days ago. They are all potatoes except the front one that has a tomato plant. I'm not expecting any more frost but in the event I'm wrong I'll just move the tomato bag into the garage for the night. I'll post a progress picture as things move along.

Comments (7)

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

When I plant field grown potatoes, I plant in trenches and hill them as they grow. You could probably get a much higher yield in your containers if you filled them half to 2/3's with mix, then planted your seed potatoes. As the potatoes grow you continue to add more mix until the container is full. Potatoes are fairly shallow rooted and tubers form near, or right at the soil surface, adding more mix as they grow makes room for more potatoes.

• calbayarea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, that seems to be what most people do but I've grown potatoes before in containers and I really didn't realize an increased yield doing it that way. This year, I put my seeds a good 8 to 10 inches down as the soil is very light so they will have no trouble reaching the top. Hopefully....:)

• calbayarea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of the bags have growth starting to break the surface. Looking good.

• charina
    10 years ago

What did you use to make the bags with?

• Natures_Nature
    10 years ago

What did you use to make the bags with? I been sewing smart pots made from thin landscape fabric at the dollar store, it seems like it breathes much more than the ones you pay big money for. I made two dozen gal smart pots for 2-3 bucks!

• calbayarea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Natures: I made some out of heavy duty felt, those are the red ones. This is their second year. The rest I made from various materials but most of them from this very durable, canvas like material that I got at Walmart. Apparently, no one else had a use for it because it was on clearance for less than a dollar a yard.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

if you filled them half to 2/3's with mix, then planted your seed potatoes. As the potatoes grow you continue to add more mix until the container is full.
    (Beach_bum)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with Beach_bum.

Potato needs HILLing. So in the pot you keep adding soil as it grows. This will provide room for the tubers. ALSO, the plant draws the nutrients from the lower part of the soil. What you fill/hill with, does need to be fertile. A mixture of peat and pine fine will do(like 5-1-1).

So here is what I would do:

--- Fill about 10"(rich soil): REMEMBER that the roots will grow ONLY in this soil, not above it.
    --- Place the seed(s) on it.
    --- Cover with about 4" of soil

Do hilling/filling as the plant grows.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting