Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlavore

From the Ground Up.

MLavore
10 years ago

I have started my container gardening adventure. I have a ~150sq ft south facing balcony that I intend to turn into a container garden, utilizing primarily 5 gallon self watering containers for vegetables (Tomatoes, Peppers, Carrots, Cucumbers, Cantaloupe, Etc) and smaller containers for herbs (Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Mint, Etc).

So far I have a large container of 5-1-1 mix (106L) and 64 Quarts of MGMC, which appears to be primarily peat.

I have started a few plants in various mixes.
Poblano peppers in a 50/50 mix of 5-1-1 and MGMC, Strawberries in 100% MGMC
Extreme Bush Tomatoes, Champion Cucumbers in 100% 5-1-1

It will be interesting to see how each of them do in their respective mixes. While I understand that you cannot compare different plants in different mixes, most plants can thrive in most mixes if proper conditions are maintained. I will adapt as needed dependent upon results and as general advice drives, such as peppers in a drier medium as they are finicky about excessively wet roots.

Using the self-watering 5 gallon containers, I have yet to determine the wicking capability of the 5-1-1 mix. The 5-1-1 mix that I have leans a bit more towards smaller particles and I believe that that will help with wicking from the reservoir.

Until the outdoor temperature warms up I am using a 4' x 2' table that will have a 20,000 lumen grow light overhead to supplement the poor winter sunlight. To fertilize I have 2 bottles of MG Liquifeed Vege 9-4-9 from a previous pepper growing adventure that I will use up, from there I may go to DynaGro or the 12-4-8 MG liquid that seems to have good reviews. If I opt for the MG liquid, what would be the best source for the micro-nutrients missing from the MG Liquid?

I have spent a great deal of time reading this forum and considering the advice of people on various topics, and I appreciate the insight that the community provides.

If anyone has any advice or questions feel free :)

Comments (5)