Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basic self watering container question

Posted by moonowl 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 22:54

When I buy commercial self watering pots, it is simply some kind of plastic tray/grid that allows water to drain and collect in a space the bottom.

When I see home-made earthboxes and such, people seem to use pond filter-like water reservoirs or wicking tubes. Why? Can't you just for example, drill a bunch of holes into the bottom of gallon bucket and put it inside another 5 gallon bucket? Won't the water wick through the holes just as well as a wicking tube/pond filter?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basic self watering container question

Here is a system that I used last year and should help answer your question. I built one last year and planted a White Hab in it and it way out performed the one in ground by 3 fold. I am planning 10 to 15 buckets this year.
Christopher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Global buckets

o

Oh good golly, I didn't know the soil went INTO the cup/reservoir! The video was so much better, thank you. I guess I need a hole saw bit!

I always grew my hot peppers in containers. Fish, habs, jalapenos and serenos. They are brought resistant though. You think the buckets are the way to go with them?

o

moonowl I am glad the videos helped.

I only did one bucket last year and it was much larger and produced 75 or so peppers compared to the one I had inground that was much smaller and yielded only 20 peppers, I did pull it out of the bucket after the season was over and all I can say was I was impressed with the root growth, the bucket was full from top to bottom of prolific roots.

I did modify the system they show by using 4" net pots instead of the plastic cups as the wick, the solo cups just seemed a little too frail for my liking, and yes it seems to be a great alternative to growing inground.

Christopher.

p.s. I wish I would have taken some pictures to share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here