Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange planter question

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 23:53

I am planning on planting Tumbling Tom Tomatoes in some sort of trough, container or pipe along the sides of my high tunnels.

These little tomatoes are very productive and will give me earlier tomatoes for my markets. I have grown them for 3 years now in hanging baskets to sell. Here is a picture of one.
Photobucket

Here is a picture of two in a hanging basket
Photobucket

I am struggling to find what I want to plant in, a long trough. I could make one of wood, but It would be expensive to do and would rot.

So I have made a "Strawberry Tower" out of 4 inch pvc pipe and using a hole saw, cut holes in it to plant flowers. It works really well and the plants grow nice. My question is do you think could lay the pipe on it's side, drill a 2 inch hole every foot and plant these Tumbling Toms in the holes. I would plant on plant a foot.

The pipe would be filled with Al's Mix and I would run a drip tape through the pipe too. These pipe would be about 35 feet long, maybe longer.

What problems do you see? I am concerned about the root mass and not enough growing medium. I could go with a larger pipe, but that would add cost. 4 inch sewer pipe is very cheap. Also, I would fertilize through the irrigation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Strawberry tower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange planter question

What about using galvanized rain gutter?

o

I have seen one tomato plant fill a half barrel with roots. Al

o

• Posted by et14 7a-VA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 9:33

I used a 6x6 hollow fence post, 6 foot long in hydroponics to grow tomatoes. 3 plants (big boys). The roots would fill the chamber completely and start down to overflow tube.

After the season was over, when I pulled the system apart, The roots averaged about 4 feet long and about 6 inches around.

I would use at least 4 inch pipe. Toms use a lot of water in the warm season. Mine were averaging over a gallon per tom per day, course that was hydroponics.

o

A rain gutter might work, I will see what I can find.

Al, These are a special small hybrid bred for hanging baskets and containers. They produce cherry sized tomatoes. I averaged 4-5 pints of cherry tomatoes off the ones that didn't sell last year.

I am not wanting these plants to produce all season long. I just want them to produce as early as possible and I will start harvesting from my "in the ground" cherry tomatoes around June 25th. I am thinking I could get them producing by early May through June.

Et14-Where did you get a 6 by 6 hollow fence post?

I also thought of using nursery pots and just make a shelf for them to sit on. It probably would be simpler. Maybe I am making this too hard.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here