Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Strange planter question

I am planning on planting Tumbling Tom Tomatoes in some sort of trough, container or pipe along the sides of my high tunnels.

These little tomatoes are very productive and will give me earlier tomatoes for my markets. I have grown them for 3 years now in hanging baskets to sell. Here is a picture of one.

{{gwi:8043}}

Here is a picture of two in a hanging basket

{{gwi:8045}}

I am struggling to find what I want to plant in, a long trough. I could make one of wood, but It would be expensive to do and would rot.

So I have made a "Strawberry Tower" out of 4 inch pvc pipe and using a hole saw, cut holes in it to plant flowers. It works really well and the plants grow nice. My question is do you think could lay the pipe on it's side, drill a 2 inch hole every foot and plant these Tumbling Toms in the holes. I would plant on plant a foot.

The pipe would be filled with Al's Mix and I would run a drip tape through the pipe too. These pipe would be about 35 feet long, maybe longer.

What problems do you see? I am concerned about the root mass and not enough growing medium. I could go with a larger pipe, but that would add cost. 4 inch sewer pipe is very cheap. Also, I would fertilize through the irrigation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Strawberry tower

Comments (4)