Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis - how/when to move young plants from indoors to outdoors

Posted by terrygeranium (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 0:06

I have 2 young clematis plants (Dr. Ruppel & Sweet Summer Love) that I received in US mail in 4" pots. I transplanted them to larger (maybe 8" diameter pots) in a sunny unheated room (zone 6b).

They were in very bad shape but now are growing well - 'Dr. Ruppel' just had a bloom. SS Love has grown to about 4 feet tall.

How and when do I move them out onto my balcony which is pretty sunny but very exposed to wind and weather?

Should they be growing indoors like this?

I just don't know what the next step is. Any help greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis - how/when to move young plants from indoors to outd

Move them outside when you don't have any more frosts or freezing temps. You must let them get used to being outside, you need to acclimate them. Bring them out for one hour the first day and increase time for 2 weeks, then they will be fine. You could grow them indoors if they are doing OK, it's up to you. You need also to slowly expose to the sun. The first few days I would leave in the shade, slowly increasing sun exposure daily too. By the last day 8 hours outside and in the sun or whatever your exposrure is. They do need sun.. 14 days is about right, works best for me.

I keep mine in the garden, one is about 25 years old. I added four more last year. The 25 year old one is massive, I cut it completely down every year. It grows like crazy and produces hundreds of flowers. Pruning depends on what type you have. 3 groups exist, each are pruned differently.
Brushwood Nursery has a good grow guide for Clematis

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematid Grow guide

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 16:42

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here