Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coniferous seedlings

Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 0:23

I have these potted in pots, grown from cuttings (yew-pic.#1&2), and from the seed (pic.#3)

Would any of you experienced pot-growers offer advice as what you think may be best way to grow them?
(They look to me like good bonsai candidates - but I never grown any bonsai and do not know anything about it except what I read on this forum).
I like the shapes of 2 yews, they just grow that way on their own. I had about 7 cuttings at that time, 4 are planted in the garden & are much bigger. These were growing only in pots, and are approx. 12"tall. Other seedling grew from the seed, also grown in pot only, approx. 8"tall.
Any ideas are appreciated.

#1.Photobucket#2. Photobucket#3. Photobucket

Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coniferous seedlings

Hi Rina,

I don't know anything about bonsai, but I do grow a lot of conifers in containers. For the most part, just follow the same practices you would for any containerized plant and you should do okay. Conifers don't like the soil to stay too wet for too long, and it's best to let the soil dry out somewhat between waterings. They prefer acidic soils, so be careful not to overdo it with the lime. I have decided not add any lime to the 5:1:1 mix for my conifers. I am using the Dyna-Gro FP fertilizer and that will provide the Ca and Mg - if you omit lime, be sure to use something similar.

You should also think about what you want in the plant's form. If they were mine, I'd stake the main trunk on #1 and #2 to straighten it. Also, it looks like #3 has a double leader - now would be a good time to remove one of the leaders. After you do so, it may look a little sparse at first but it will fill in over time and be better off in the long run.

Let us know how they fare.

Alex

o
RE: coniferous seedlings

• Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 11:31

Alex

thank you for your suggestions. 2 yews are potted in very "barky" soil so I probably leave them until next spring. I don't mind experimenting, have enough of them (lol-never enough plants for me).
So far I wasn't able to find DynaGro around here, so will follow Al's suggestions about fertilizing.

We are having sunny & warmer day today, cooling off some tomorrow. Nice day to work in the garden.
Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here