Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries in a container

Posted by sierravista 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 0:45

I was not sure where to post this so...anywho...I want to grow some blueberries in several large containers and wonder what type I should buy since I live in Los Angeles.

Also, what would you suggest I use for the soil.
Sierravista
thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries in a container

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 0:57

'Sunshine Blue', 'Bountiful Blue' 'Jewell', 'Jubilee'. I have had best luck with 'Sunshine Blue'.

Use camellia/azalea mix, but add some pumice--20%--they want moist soil, but not soggy soil--their roots need oxygen and the pumice will provide that. Don't drown them, but don't let them dry out, either.

o

The Southern Highbush varieties mentioned are good as are Emerald,Southmoon and Oneal to name a few.
I use about 60-70% Pine and or Fir bark mulch with 30-40% Peat moss.
Make sure the irrigation water is somewhat acidic. Brady

o

I would also recommend for you to read posts on Fruit & Orchards forum, there are many about growing blueberries in containers. You'll find out about soil, fertilizing, watering - you can search that forum by typing 'blueberries in containers' in the search box located in top left of the forum.
I read all posts on blueberries, regardless if grown in pots or ground.
Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 8:30

o

Excellent!
thank you
Sierravista

o

For the potting mix, just be sure to stick to primarily acidic ingredients -- bark (pine or fir), peat, azalea mix, etc. While it isn't strictly necessary, you can also add something like coarse perlite, pumice, turface, or calcined diatomaceous earth (NAPA Oil Absorbent) in a smaller proportion to enhance aeration. The latter three will also boost water retention (if that's desired), as well as nutrient retention. In my experience, blueberries do very well in Al's 5-1-1 mix, which is very similar to the mix that Brady is using. It's composed of 5 parts pine or fir bark, one part peat, and one part perlite (while the standard recipe also calls for lime, be sure to omit that for blueberries). Adding more peat will boost the water retention, and substituting DE, pumice or turface for the perlite will do the same. You've gotten some very good recommendations for varieties from Brady and hoovb, but I'll also include a link below that might prove helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries Simplified (Fall Creek Nursery)

This post was edited by shazaam on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:28

o

I love everything you are saying. A few years ago, mentioning turface ,pumice. etc would have caused me to go, HUH?

Now since I dabble in bonsai, I get it!
Thanks, I will look up the link and read and read and read.

Sierravista

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here