Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierravista_gw

Blueberries in a container

sierravista
10 years ago

I was not sure where to post this so...anywho...I want to grow some blueberries in several large containers and wonder what type I should buy since I live in Los Angeles.

Also, what would you suggest I use for the soil.
Sierravista
thank you

Comments (6)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

'Sunshine Blue', 'Bountiful Blue' 'Jewell', 'Jubilee'. I have had best luck with 'Sunshine Blue'.

Use camellia/azalea mix, but add some pumice--20%--they want moist soil, but not soggy soil--their roots need oxygen and the pumice will provide that. Don't drown them, but don't let them dry out, either.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

The Southern Highbush varieties mentioned are good as are Emerald,Southmoon and Oneal to name a few.
    I use about 60-70% Pine and or Fir bark mulch with 30-40% Peat moss.
    Make sure the irrigation water is somewhat acidic. Brady

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

I would also recommend for you to read posts on Fruit & Orchards forum, there are many about growing blueberries in containers. You'll find out about soil, fertilizing, watering - you can search that forum by typing 'blueberries in containers' in the search box located in top left of the forum.
    I read all posts on blueberries, regardless if grown in pots or ground.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 8:30

• sierravista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent!
    thank you
    Sierravista

• Ernie
    10 years ago

For the potting mix, just be sure to stick to primarily acidic ingredients -- bark (pine or fir), peat, azalea mix, etc. While it isn't strictly necessary, you can also add something like coarse perlite, pumice, turface, or calcined diatomaceous earth (NAPA Oil Absorbent) in a smaller proportion to enhance aeration. The latter three will also boost water retention (if that's desired), as well as nutrient retention. In my experience, blueberries do very well in Al's 5-1-1 mix, which is very similar to the mix that Brady is using. It's composed of 5 parts pine or fir bark, one part peat, and one part perlite (while the standard recipe also calls for lime, be sure to omit that for blueberries). Adding more peat will boost the water retention, and substituting DE, pumice or turface for the perlite will do the same. You've gotten some very good recommendations for varieties from Brady and hoovb, but I'll also include a link below that might prove helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries Simplified (Fall Creek Nursery)

This post was edited by shazaam on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 13:28

• sierravista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love everything you are saying. A few years ago, mentioning turface ,pumice. etc would have caused me to go, HUH?

Now since I dabble in bonsai, I get it!
    Thanks, I will look up the link and read and read and read.

Sierravista