Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for good production veggies in Earthtainers.

Posted by l1a1rocker Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 0:50

I'm in the middle of a move (to the central Texas Hill Country area) and that has delayed my spring planting. . .that being said I'd like some advice.

I built 5 Earthtainers last year and I'm almost ready to put them back into production. Two are dedicated for tomatoes and the other three can be used for whatever.

I'd like some suggestions on what to plant in the other three. I'm looking for something that will be produce a lot all season long, not just a bunch at once and be done. I'm thinking green beans and maybe butter beans but I'm just not sure - I do have a good trellis design for the Earthtainer that goes up 10 feet.

Please help...

Also, can anyone suggest a good tasting, sweet indeterminate tomato of medium to large size?

Thanking you all in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for good production veggies in Earthtainers.

Cucumbers do quite well in EarthTainers:

Photobucket

Eggplant would be another suggestion. When you have cooler weather in the Fall, you might want to give Snow Peas a try.

Photobucket

Raybo

o

cucumbers are an ideal Ilike pickles. do you recomend a specific seed as being superior? Also, in late fall, what type of letuce would broduce most? Or is it soo little that it is not worth the effort.

o

Cukes I have had success with are: Diva, Sweet Success, County Fair, and Straight Eight. Never grown lettuce, but it should be easy.

Raybo

o

I don't think I'd use the Earthtainer for lettuce. You could grow leaf lettuce in containers that are about 8" or 10" tall. They work well.

o

rnewste, would a smaller eggplant, such as Ichiban, need any kind of support in a container?

o

Eggplant do fine in the EarthTainer. Here are 4 plants my neighbor grew a few years ago:

Photobucket

Raybo

o

Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans do quite well in SWCs.
I've grown them for years. By far, they have produced the most per square foot of growing area for me of any vegetable. Need at least a 6' trellis.

o

Is there any reasonable difference in using peat vs potting soil in the 3-2-1? Peat is a good bit cheaper, I think potting soil is mostly peat anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here