Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Bags???

Posted by emgardener (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 1:16

Getting ready for spring planting and I saw these new grow bags at Summer Winds Nursery and in Gardeners Supply catalog.

Has anyone used them? What were your results?

I use soil blocks for starting seedlings, so I'm familiar with the effect of air pruning on the roots. The Grow Bags claim to have the same good air pruning effect on the full plants. Anyone dumped out a plant growing in an Grow Bag to see what the roots were doing???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Bags???

I saw those too, but at $12+ each, didn't feel like experimenting with them this year. The experiment I AM running is with reusable grocery store bags -- the type you can generally get at the checkout for $1. They're made of a polypropylene weave, similar to the growbags. I've read that they typically only last a season or so because of UV breakdown, but that's enough for me at the moment. I suppose you could get the "double walled" feature by placing one bag inside the other -- might also help with the UV issue as the outer bag should protect the inner bag from the sun. (hmmm... maybe I'll go get a couple more bags ;))

o

emgardener, the 'grow bags' I have used had an impervious plastic base and a fabric-like wall. They were used for growing trees for later transplanting. Roots would grow through the sidewall and break off as they thickened. This resulted in a profusion of rootlets inside the bag. The advantage is that when transplanted the tree had a mass of functioning feeding roots which mitigated the 'shock' of transplanting. It worked very well for this purpose. On a related note, I once used brown paper bags to create a "container" to hold a composted mix and moisture in place for tomato seedlings transferred to ground planting. The roots grew through the paper bags and I had a good crop of tomatoes.

o

Last year there was a whole thread on this. Some even make their own out of landscape cloth which has the UV factor in it. One poster made hers from Eco-Felt.

Smart Pots is a maker of these, and here are a couple others:

http://www.rootmaker.com/products_containers.php#jump
http://www.fanntum.com/advantages.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here