Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Al's opinion on new 'WholeTree' substrate

Posted by g000n 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 2:15

Al can you provide some comments and insights about "WholeTree" substrate from Young�s Plant Farm in Auburn, Alabama. I found out about it while reading the attached article on ARS.

How would this stuff compare to your 5:1:1 mix?

Here is a link that might be useful: WholeTree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Al's opinion on new 'WholeTree' substrate

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 7:49

It looks a lot like the 5:1:1 mix. I think the largest issues that will need to deal with are related to a high sapwood/heartwood content, more specifically to a high pH spike during the composting process and N immobilization. Heat generated as the sapwood breaks down (faster than bark would) will also be a consideration. My guess is that they will wind row the chips until they are partially composted to reduce the impact of the issues.

My guess is that someone got some grant money to study this. The science is already pretty well defined, but hopefully they come up with something marketable that guarantees better aeration/drainage/durability than peat based substrates. There's no doubt in my mind that they're on the right track. I want a job like that! ;-)

Al

o

I don't know... in reading, it still seems, on an overall basis, to be leaning toward the usual corporate "well, the original peat/perlite products work fine, too" angle... even though I can see that the industry is trying to move toward what "in the know" consumers and growers are wanting.

Just my opinion, however.

o

Al thanks for your insight. It also struck me as being very similar to 5:1:1 in design which is why I asked. I think you may have hit the nail on the head, the tree industry out there was probably looking for another way to use its products and probably wanted to explore untapped markets.

o

That is scary. I am sure that such a trend will eventually lead to disappearance of all my pine bark source. I will be forced to buy a little bag of premixed stuff at an exorbitant price.

OK, Just kidding a bit here.

A local nursery here has been selling its own mix which looked like Al's 511 mix. Obviously, he did not want to part with the recipe. But he is selling a one cubic feet bag for 10 dollars if I remember correctly.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 15:14

Actually PBFs are getting harder to find these days because there are many industrial entities, as well as power providers, using them to generate electricity.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here