Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Tapla - zeolite in Gritty Mix?

Posted by alan.oz 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 4:53

I am one of the early adopters of Gritty Mix in Australia. Over 100 pots now and all going very well.
Many of the bonsai growers here use well aerated mixes containing materials like Turface, diatomite, perlite, grit etc.
One of the frequently used materials is zeolite, it is readily available and in perfect 1/8" size. It has a very high cation exchange and hence retains nutrients.

I was wondering if 1/2 or 2/3 of the grit in Gritty Mix could be replaced with zeolite?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Tapla - zeolite in Gritty Mix?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 17:24

In view of its porosity, It would more appropriately be a replacement for a fraction of the Turface component.

Al

o

Zeolite And Bonsai
Making the assumption that the original post was from an Australian, I will say that there are two commercial natural zeolite mines producing product in Australia of the clinoptilolite form that is commonly used in gardening around the world. I am involved with one of these so in the spirit of the forum I will not mention its name. A quick web search will find one of these two.
These Australian natural zeolite are harder than overseas deposits being in the mid 5’s on the mohs hardness scale out of 10 compared to 3’s and 4’s of those for example from Asia and USA. Typically being this hard when incorporated into a soil media zeolite will last in its processed particle size for hundreds of years making it very suitable for this use.
We have bonsai clubs in New South Wales now using our product in a 1 to 3 mm particle size. This typically is included at 15% by weight into the potting mix.
Also include your other materials such as organic matter of various forms, manure, slow release fertiliser etc.
Zeolite if what is actually produced in Australia is hard enough to give the potting media texture plus the usual thing zeolites offer in the aiding water retention, nutrient holding and hosting friendly soil microorganisms

o

Thanks for that Eccly.
All the Bonsai growers I know love it.

I would like to incorporate it in Gritty Mix.
What I don't know is exactly how much water it holds.
Can you provide this data?

Turface is meant to hold its own weight in water.
When I do simple side by side comparisons of Turface and Zeolite (3-6mm) the Turface soaks up more water and faster.
Maybe Zeolite can replace part of the bark and grit components?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here