Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container water movement (Al's post)- question re wick

Posted by ellenrr 6B (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 6:52

Hi,
for Al or anyone who follows his method. I am slowly making my way thru the long thread :) so perhaps this question has been answered-
re the wick - I had a hard time picturing it, cuz I could only think of a candle wick, but then Al or someone said one could use the tie that ties bunches of vegies.

OK, now I've got a wick. It is about 7 inches long. Is that too long?
And I know it goes thru one of the drainage holes - so the soil holds the part that is inside, and the part outside the pot hangs down, sits on earth?

is this correct?

thank you,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container water movement (Al's post)- question re wick

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 8:02

Hi, Ellen - Wicks you intend to use to drain the soil needn't be as absorbent as those used to supply water from a source below the soil. To illustrate, saturate your soil in a plastic cup that has a drain hole in it. Allow it to stop draining, then push a toothpick part way into a drain hole so it hangs below the container bottom and observe how much additional water leaves the pot after flowing down the toothpick.

Usually, leaving about 3" hang below the container works very well, but there is no harm/disadvantage in using longer wicks. I use strands from a 100% rayon mop head.

Al

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Hey Al, where did you get that little piece of screen from?

PJ

o

Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 15:28

Buy it at any hobby shop - ask for 'plastic canvas for needlepoint projects'.

Al

o

thank you very much. :)

o

Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 12:53

Photobucket

o

Hi Al or others,

I am new to this forum, but have read your post on soils. Is it possible to insert a wick into a pot after it is planted?

Thanks, Darlene

This post was edited by Darlene57 on Fri, May 24, 13 at 19:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here