Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of dolly do you use to move large containers?

Posted by edweather 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 9:19

When I read about people moving containers with a dolly, what kind are we talking about? A movers dolly on 4 wheels, or the 2-wheeled type with high handles that you tip back to move? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of dolly do you use to move large containers?

Just the two wheel type that you tip back a bit... that's what I use. I think Harbor Freight has them fairly cheap.

I have several huge clay pots that are placed to kind of flank the garage doors... about 4 to 6 really heavy ones... and they're way too large to move without a dolly.

o

I built a dolly to move trash cans filled with discarded soil, but slightly over-engineered it. It is made of a piece of pressure-treated wood 2x2 feet, with four boards fitted lengthwise beneath that, and four wheels attached, each of which can support 125 pounds or so. It cost about 20 dollars total to make, and is extremely sturdy.

The 2-wheel type is probably your best bet, though.

o

I also use the 2 wheel with tall handle that you tip back as well. You need to be careful on bumps or you can chip the edge of the pot - best to wedge a towel there if the area you're travelling over is not smooth. Picked mine up at Costco.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

o

Thanks for the input. I should have waited for your input because I just shelled out less than $10 for a 4-wheel movers dolly at Harbor Freight. Maybe I'll return it. The kind you tip back makes more sense because you can go up and down steps, etc. I'll have to check HF again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here