Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this work? Vertical gardening in Starbuck's bags

Posted by rosiew 7 GA (rosemarywalsh@bellsouth.net) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 9:28

I've gotten some of the heavy silver foil bags that Starbuck's bean coffee is packed in. They are about 12" deep - after making a 2+" fold on the top. They expand to the size of a gallon milk jug. Thinking I could put some strips of wood along the top and nail or screw to my 6' fence. Maybe put a spacer behind this to keep it slightly away from the fence.

Writing to ask y'all if you think these would make good containers and would like suggestions for what to plant in them - veggies or flowers - and which ones.

Will appreciate your ideas.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this work? Vertical gardening in Starbuck's bags

That's an interesting idea and a great reuse of the bags. I'd love to see pics if you do it. I bet flowers or strawberries would look great in them.

I immagine it would work as long as there is drainage etc...

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 14:11

Ya - it should work fine, as long as the bags don't deteriorate and break down in the sun.

Great idea for herbs & veggies that don't require tons of soil - or flowers. If you think your soil is staying wet for too long - stick a wick through the drain hole & just let it dangle below the bag.

Good luck!

Al

o

Thanks for responding!

Al, what should I use for wicking material?

Can experiment with these, which will be fun. The bags are really strong. Guess the number of drainage holes I punch will depend on what I plant. I have had no success with nasturiums but will find seed for some trailing ones. Still looking for ideas for good candidates.

You're the best.
Rosie

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 17:56

Awww! - thanks, Rosie ;-) You're too kind!

You can use a strip of 100% rayon (man made chamois) or strands from a 100% rayon mop you can often find at Ace Hardwares or Wally World.

Photobucket

Almost anything that will absorb water and not rot quickly will work to drain excess water. I really like some of the nylon drawstrings you can sometimes find used as closures on mesh onion or citrus bags. I have a few that are more than 15 years old I'm still using.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here