Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycgarden

Drip irrigation and containers

nycgarden
11 years ago

Has anyone used a drip system with containers and could offer some advice? What brand did you use? Someone recommended IrriGator.

I'm planning a roof container garden of about 30 containers on a drip system with a timer. Looking to grow mostly leafy greens for the Spring.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• nil13
    11 years ago

its not drip, but I use John Deere spot spitters for my container vegetable garden. what I like best about them is that when you pull a container out of production, you just turn the emitter around and plug that tube. one side is the emitter and the other side is a plug. Plus the 1/8" lines have a tool that allows you to insert the 1/8" poly into 1/2" poly tube without the need for fittings. you just push the small tube into the hole and it seals itself.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I do the same as nil13. I tried drippers, but plants suffered, not enough water,and too easily plugged up. Al

• nycgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both of you. What would you say is the limit in terms of the amount of containers or distance the spitter system can handle on a standard city water pressure?

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, hadn't run across these spot spitters before.

Do you use the horizontal spray or down spray versions?
    Which color version?
    How big are your pots?

Any advice on using or tweaking them?

I'm looking to switch between drippers to some form of microspray this year. These spot spitters look good, but I'd have to order online.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Just another ping on these Spot Spitter questions.

Any one use these?
    What kind?
    Do you use 1 or 2 per container?
    How good is the water coverage in the container, any dry spots?

• queensinfo
    11 years ago

what would an approximate cost be for setting something like this up for 10 containers?

• nycgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did a quick search online and the price doesn't look that bad. My concern would be sufficient water pressure if we are just hooking it up to a standard city water supply. There must be a limit as to how many emitters can be used on the standard pressure which I think is 50 - 70 psi?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

Mine are netafim which I buy from Harmony Farm Supply in Graton near Sebastopol. One per container is enough, and ten on a half inch drip line would work OK. Dripline pressure is reduced to 25lb. Al

• nycgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply Calistoga,
    Did you have any issues with emitters getting blocked up?
    I bookmarked Harmony.

Did you use the Button Drip Emitter with the woodpecker barb? What's that for anyway?

Thanks,
    Dan

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Thanks Calistoga, good information on the netafimusa site.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

fyi, while researching spray stakes came across this study.

Basically says it is more efficient, with water & fertilizer, to water intermittently (every 30 to 40 minutes) instead of all at once.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spray stake watering study

• emgardener
    11 years ago

One last comment, just ordered the C-Frame Downspray for my containers. Liked these since the tube attaches to the bottom (looks nicer) and with a circle downspray should be easy to adjust the spray diameter by adjusting the stake (3/8" rebar) height.

Thanks again for this thread, hopefully this will solve the watering dry spot problems I've always had with drippers.

• nil13
    11 years ago

sorry i didn't get back sooner. I use the micro orange 180 spot spitters. They run on 30psi line. I have about 200 containers on 2 seperate circuits. I have never had one clog. If it did, it would be eay to clear because the emitter is just a groove in the plastic.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

200 containers! Love to see some pictures.