Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for greenman 28/josh

Posted by rina_ 6a Ont (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 9:52

Josh

you posted some photos on peapod13/journal thread; is that an olive tree in backroung of last photo? If yes, any suggestions - I have 3 of them, would appreciate some ideas about growing/shaping.

Suggestions from anybody are welcomed.
Thnx.

Rina

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for greenman 28/josh

Howdy, Rina! Good eye ;-)

That's an Olea e. 'Skylark Dwarf' - a fruitless olive. I'm growing it in bonsai fashion,
although it doesn't make a very convincing bonsai...yet.

I have it in a wide, shallow terracotta pot, in a mix of Fir bark, pumice, perlite, and quartzite.
The best growth I've seen has been when I fertilize regularly - less often than my citrus,
but more often than my maples or conifers.

Josh

o

Josh

thank you; I have these 3 & not sure what to do with them. Do not know name - they were gifted to me; aparently mother plant bears fruit. I did not really fertilize them last year, but 2 larger ones grown quite a bit (they doubled in size). 3rd was very tiny, I didn't think it will survive since it had only one hair-like root. Photos are not that great.
olive 2
olive 1
baby olive

Thank you for looking.
Rina

o

Josh

if you have any photos of your olive, would you mind posting them? I would like to see how you pruned so far.

Thnx.
Rina

o

Hi, Rina, I'll see if I have any photos of my olive.
I haven't done much pruning, other than to remove crossing branches. Last Winter, my olive lost its leaves,
and so now I'm focusing on rebuilding foliage and overall health.

When I first received the olive, I thought it might be fun to prune it in the shape of a Menorah,
but I've abandoned that plan. I'm just going to grow it, then chop it back when it's large enough.

About your pics....as with your Jade pics, I can't get these to expand on my home browers.
However, I'm on my prep period at school now, and so I'm able to view them. I would think your
first priority should be re-potting these trees in a porous, free-draining mix.

Josh

o

Josh

thank you. I understand that they need repot, but not sure about timing - is it OK to do it now? I thought that around Father's day would be appropriate.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r488/Rina_TO/Olives Feb 2012/

I appreciate you taking time to answer.

Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here