Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Rosemary

Posted by fortyonenorth 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 10:29

So, this morning I repotted a rosemary that I've abused for the past several years. It was flourishing despite the less-than-ideal potting mix I used last time I potted up.

I was able to remove most of the substrate from the roots, selectively trimmed the roots, and then cut off a rather large mass of roots that had formed at the bottom of the pot. Once, I had it settled into its new home, I cut back the top by about 1/3 or so. I generally like the 5-1-1 type mixes, but I figured the rosemary would appreciate the gritty mix, so I'm giving that a try.

Here's a question. I think I did a good job of matching the top and root pruning. Are there any signs to be aware of that signal that I didn't cut back enough on top?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Rosemary

Sounds OK to me. Keep it in the shade for the next month or so to give the roots time to establish new feeders. Al

o

Cutting back top growth when you transplant or root prune to offset root loss is kind of an old school concept that has lost favor by most horticulturists. It is the top growth that provides energy to the roots for rapid regeneration, even more so with evergreen plants like rosemary, so cutting back the top growth should be minimized. OTOH, rosemary is a pretty tough plant and frequent pruning for culinary purposes doesn't faze it so I would not be overly concerned about your cutting back the top. However, you should not need to do any further top pruning at this point.

o

A timely post as I need to do the same thing to my herb planter. How exactly do you root-trim? I have literally had people telling me to do this in this forum for two years or so to this rosemary, but taken the denial approach (ignoring the thing) because I have no idea how to do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here