Return to the Container Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
space filler in big stock tank

Posted by maroqw Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 10:37

I want to plant veggies and perennials in a couple large round stock tanks. To save on buying soil, any suggestions on what I can use for filler in the bottom? I dont like styro peanuts. What about recycle pop cans covered by newspaper or cardboard? Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: space filler in big stock tank

pop cans , 2 litre soda bottles with lids on. bricks, large rocks. i would not use card board it will fall apart. i would use landscape fabric or fibreglass screen material between the soil and filler.

o

I fill my deep beds with composting material: leaves, kitchen scraps saved over the winter etc. By late fall/early spring I have mostly composted soil for pots and beds. The mix of materials determines how many years until it is done. The beds do settle a few inches. Settling is a minor problem around the edges.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 13:57

M - I would fill to desired ht with ballast, like empty soda bottles or milk jugs with screw-on caps and back-fill with no covering (like cardboard or landscape cloth) at all. I wouldn't fill the bottom with anything organic, as it can turn to a soup-like consistency if it's not very stable, increasing water-retention, reducing drainage, and producing noxious gasses you don't want in the soil. There are also some considerable benefits related to drainage and the ht of the PWT to be had by allowing the soil to filter down in between the items you're using for ballast.

Al

o

My raised beds are well aerated. I built them using old fence boards stacked like a rail fence. So basically it's board-gap-board. As Al mentioned drainage could be a problem. I'd drill extra holes in the side for air/drainage.

o

What about using cinder blocks as a space filler in stock tanks? Are there harmful chemicals in cinder blocks?

o

What about using cinder blocks as a space filler in stock tanks? Are there harmful chemicals in cinder blocks?

o

Rocks

I think cinder blocks usually have a lot of lime and could make the soil more alkaline.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Container Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here